Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SUncleSamA: Introduction

Diamond Member

Re: SUncleSamA: Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    Just a little question. What sites show MM stats VS total credits in the overall position and ranking spots?
    MM is a Free-DC thing.

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...&team=SETI.USA

top middle-right is our ranking
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Here's the rub. If one believes that the goal is to be #1...If we "do MORE than just crunch for highest credit output" and support "a SWAT team to do some demo & rescue work"...then we have worked AGAINST the goal of being #1 in total credits.
    EDIT: Looks like I took the bait from this Sam guy, and let y'all know how I really feel about this topic. I need to stress that this post was written from me as "DrPop your team mate", and not to be taken with authority as from "DrPop your Admin". This is strictly my opinion; I realize we each have our own, and if ours differ, well, that's OK. Makes our team dynamic that way.

It seems we're coming at this from 2 different perspectives. Neither is necessarily right or wrong, they're just different angles. I'm all for crunching the highest paying projects. Even put my race in MW with my daughter on hold for the last 2 months because the team needed what little RAC I could eek out while I'm building up my new rig (which is finally coming together, BTW) from DNETC. Except for challenges (which are short lived bursts of fun and yes, some credit loss - arguably made up for by face time in recruiting those seeing our name out in front of them when we win), I only crunch the good credits. I do that for the team.

What I was referring to with the SWAT and RECON stuff was not crunching. If we do get enough guys here that wan to be #1 overall again, it's now to the point where ALL of our entire team could crunch only the good credit stuff, and we'd still be bleeding points every day to SIC. I was thinking more along the lines of BlackOps activities regarding recruiting, assimilating, and otherwise throwing off the competition's edge on us. I was not referring to crunching there. More like "para crunching" activities.
    Hope that makes sense.

While I firmly believe our #2 goal on this team should be "#1 overall in BOINC", I even more strongly feel that our #1 goal should be "having fun with our hobby!".
    To me, that's really all about the interaction here on the boards, meeting new people, having a great time, and seeing our collective TEAM's pile of stones grow until it's bigger than every other team's; and feeling good about it because it's something no one could do on their own - it's a group effort, and we did it together, as a team.

However, if that's not fun to you, then I guess the next best thing is to go out and collect your own little individual piles of stones to compare to everyone else's individual little piles of stones...aka "MM crunching" . Because at the end of the day, all those stone go into the USA pot, and believe me, we need as many as we can get right now! I mean sure, I'll always poke a little fun at the guy that wants to get his MM in the lowest paying project on earth, but really, it's whatever someone considers fun. At the end of the day, we just need enough "I want to be #1" guys and gals on our team to make a difference. The rest can just hang out and have fun...and enjoy being part of a "World Class" Team.
    I find that attitude is important, because right now, we ARE "SETI.USA". As we slip further and further down the BOINC World Ranking, you will watch the attitude suffer, and we will simply become an "also ran" team...just one of the regular run of the mill Booshwa.

That is NOT the future I'd like for our wonderful team. We deserve to be at the top, we have quite a few members who put in major amounts of time and money on hardware, software, and electricity to get us where we are today - yourself included! - and I'll gladly and publicly fight for that, until I have exhausted every avenue at my disposal. We need to keep the Big Dog attitude. We need to fight for our Country's name at the top of the list. We need to keep our motto running strong. Together we CAN accomplish something amazing. Has everyone forgotten where this team came from, and where it has been? WE WILL get there again - but it all starts with attitude. Desire. The Dream. Think big. Like Michael Jordin. And then win.

Back to this thread...sure wish this Sam guy would get a couple of GTX 465 cards and modify them ala Joker style, and we'd have us another 1Mil+ cruncher on our hands. Only cost you ~$300 to become one of the big dogs there Sam...what say you?

Final EDIT: After much contemplation, I figured out what's driving me nuts. It's the thought that some member of a team wouldn't want their team to be #1. See, I just don't really think that's true. Deep down inside, doesn't every member of every team in the world - from basketball to computer games, from rugby to soccer - don't they all want their team to be the at the top? Hmm...if you see that differently than I do, please PM me, because I'd really like some private discussion about that, and maybe it will help me do all that I can this year to make SETI.USA "the" team to join in BOINC. I really want this to be the most happenin' place in the universe, LoL!
    Last edited by DrPop; 04-02-11 at 12:18 PM.

Silver Member

+1 DrPop.

I think. Even though I believe I was indirectly dinged a bit in there.

Gold Member

Comic re-leaf time......with all the credits you put out Zombie........do whatever you want!!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    ...with all the credits you put out Zombie........do whatever you want!!
    True that...I could only hope to achieve as much with a complete rebuild of my rigs, LOL!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234