Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SETI.USA NEEDS A STEERING COMMITTEE NOW.

SUncleSamA

SETI.USA NEEDS A STEERING COMMITTEE NOW.

First requirement period.

SUSA has some nice discussions but they too often just end with no actual agreement nor action. Someone needs to take definitive action and produce a product. Since this is a team environment you need a group of team members to take discussions to a conclusion point and to action. You need a team rudder and a group to steer SUSA. You need this now period.

What: a group of dedicate, active, serious and positive team members. The number of members should be odd. I'll recommend at least 13 but you can make it 11 or 15 but not more.

How: anyone with at least two posts can submit a list of 13 names on whom they would like to see on the Steering Committee (SC). Team member who get the most nominations will be invited to be on the SC. I'll assume your Admin's will be members via nomination so no special rule is needed for them If anyone declines an invitation go to the next person named the most. List of nominations from each qualifying member should be PM to Maxwell and DrPop who will check totals and then the official results are sent to Mr. Hankey and Teratoma who will then invite the team member to be on the SC.

Nominating ends 1/27 and final results sent to the Admins 1/28. Invitations sent and the SC membership finalized 2/4. First Steering Committee post will be 2/5. Put these dates on your calendar. Note: I'd like to do this faster since you need this SC sooner rather than later but I don't want to rush you on this one since it's the first task.

The SC will need an SC members only Forum to meet and discuss topics, The Group function won't be acceptable.
    I don't want to be a member of the SC but I would like access so I can post the basic starting rules like voting and assign the SC their first task to reach a definitive solution upon.

I can't cover all the details in the time/space allowed here but follow the principle of Keep It Simple. Once you have your SC you can go into details and finer points. If any clarifications/decisions are needed here I'll provide it.

So do me the favor of giving me this just this one for now. The SC is a good idea and is needed to get the ball rolling. The format is irrelevant as long as you have the SC group defined.

Good luck and happy nominating.
    Last edited by SUncleSamA; 01-17-11 at 03:39 PM.

Platinum Member

Re: SETI.USA NEEDS A STEERING COMMITTEE NOW.

Note to self: not an accountant...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Note to self: not an accountant...
    Not an accountant???
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Gold Member

Not to sound too rude but.....Who are you? Your stats say newbie but your tone suggests (to me) old member signed up under new name. Not sure about everyone else but I am not going to respond very well to a newbie ordering me around or an old member using subterfuge. Not saying its a bad idea, just saying that this method might not sit well with people (other then me). Just my opinion.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    Not an accountant???
    I'm guessing that's a reference to the keep it simple comment. I've never known an accountant who could keep it simple. I'd have quessed not a lawyer for the same reason except Uncle Sam likes to talk.

Personally I'm kind of intrigued. Seems we are a bit stagnant at the moment and a steering committee might be useful. I'll make and submit a list of people just to see where this goes but that's just my opinion. Maybe a simple pole to see if people want a steering committee?

Platinum Member

I was actually referring to the fact that I don't want people to PM me their input. I'm not an accountant, and have no interest keeping track of that...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJCaNS View Post
    I'm guessing that's a reference to the keep it simple comment. I've never known an accountant who could keep it simple. I'd have quessed not a lawyer for the same reason except Uncle Sam likes to talk.

Personally I'm kind of intrigued. Seems we are a bit stagnant at the moment and a steering committee might be useful. I'll make and submit a list of people just to see where this goes but that's just my opinion. Maybe a simple pole to see if people want a steering committee?
    I don't think it would be a bad idea to have an official team focus project based on a consensus of what goal we want to work on at that particular time. We could bring back the project of the month and choose those based on achievable goals. I don't think a steering committee is going to raise our production, but maybe it will make the team a little more attractive if it looks like we have some semblance of order. What we really need is more people. Steering a small boat isn't going to make the boat any bigger.

If we're going to have a pole, can it be a Festivus Pole?

6r39 7r199

Harley

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    I don't think it would be a bad idea to have an official team focus project based on a consensus of what goal we want to work on at that particular time. We could bring back the project of the month and choose those based on achievable goals. I don't think a steering committee is going to raise our production, but maybe it will make the team a little more attractive if it looks like we have some semblance of order. What we really need is more people. Steering a small boat isn't going to make the boat any bigger.

I thought we had an official team focus project..... MW. You mean I've been wasting my time? LOL.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by NJCaNS View Post

Unfortunately this very idea lead to a huge rift in the team awhile back....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    Our poles are a little different here in Las Vegas...

"My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast