Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SETI.USA NEEDS A STEERING COMMITTEE NOW.

Past Administrator

Re: SETI.USA NEEDS A STEERING COMMITTEE NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    Our poles are a little different here in Las Vegas...

Wish I had the money to visit Vegas........

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Can't say I don't agree. Not sure I agree with the angle. Not sure it is someone who was/is in SETI.USA and doesn’t want to be active. My guess would be an older retired out of them team member. Possibly someone out of SG that is friendly with us that could cause problems for themselves in there own team but still doesn’t want to see SETI.USA fall.

I think the Idea of a committee is great, this is the problem. Working people do not have the time required to be in a committee. This is proven in history. So the main parts of Committees are made of retired people. I don’t see 10 active retired people on the form. Jobless people simply don’t have the money to crunch and are less active. Students in summer I think pick up for 3-4 months.

My guess that form Admin’s would no doubt have to be in the committee as it would be one of the rolls.

But what would the other slots be?

Manager/ leader
    Form overall admin
    New project manager
    Public relations
    Project analyst
    Hardware analyst
    Training

There is a gray area as far as hardware/ finance. The team at one point had this. Today I say no we don’t need it but if things come around someone would be needed to improve the cluster.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I thought we had an official team focus project..... MW. You mean I've been wasting my time? LOL.
    That's a good focus if you posses an ATI card. I would think a team focus should be something that changes periodically based on circumstances and can be something non-
    ATI users can participate in (and feel like they're accomplishing something). Don't want to pull anyone off of MW, but not everyone crunches MW and might want a different focus.

I liked the POM, though I didn't always crunch it. It was done by a vote, if I'm not mistaken. We just didn't always pick the right project for it.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    I liked the POM, though I didn't always crunch it. It was done by a vote, if I'm not mistaken. We just didn't always pick the right project for it.
    So... democracy only works when people vote the way you want them to? Actually, I do agree with you to a certain extent. We never determined what criteria make a POTM a good POTM. Doing that is like herding cats. Is it to move up in FB? Move up a few positions in a project? For a good cause? There are many reasons and we won't ever all agree on one or the order or precedence.

Is MW a team focus project? I'm not so sure. If people don't know what else to crunch, then maybe. For credit mongers, it depends whether DNETC pays better for their card. For people chasing MMs, it depends which GPU project goal they are trying to obtain.

In other words, a steering committee will pick a project, piss everyone off because it isn't their favorite project, feelings get hurt and people leave. Or, we don't have a steering committee and everyone does their own thing and the people who want to be on a team for the sole purpose of stomping other teams get pissed and they leave. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Give the relatively small number of people who read these boards compared the number of team members, by take on the steering committee is about the same as using a toothpick as the rudder for a ship. Not much steering will ever take place. Not until a majority of the team members become active members (not necessarily posting, but at least reading the MB posts).
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Teratoma

PotMs (Project of the Month) were nominated by team members who would provide their reasoning. The Leadership Committee would then vote on which project would be selected for that month.

hhhmmmmm....Leadership Committee.....that did not work out in the long run, did it. Maybe if we change the number of members and call it a Steering Committee it will work this time!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Teratoma View Post
    hhhmmmmm....Leadership Committee.....that did not work out in the long run, did it. Maybe if we change the number of members and call it a Steering Committee it will work this time!
    Is that kind of like saying that the only reason Communism doesn't work is because we didn't try it long enough?
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Teratoma

Communism doesn't work not because we (Americans) didn't try it long enough...it doesn't work because we (Americans) didn't try it at all!

Maybe I am saying that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Silver Member

Communism doesn't work not because we (Americans) didn't try it long enough...it doesn't work because we (Americans) didn't try it at all!

Maybe I am saying that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    The SETI.USA history isn't so bad
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    The SETI.USA history isn't so bad
    S.USA's history is awesome. My hat is off to our Founders and to those members who came before us... or at least me.

It is unfortunate that in the past though that trying to set goals and the "changing of the guard" lead to rifts. I know there are positive points, in theory, having a Steering Committee but I also agree that trying to form one is going to ruffle feathers and I think enough of that has already occurred.

Even though at times I may get frustrated with what might appear as no action, I have to say overall, I like the specialized Groups that have been formed. They are like Mini-Steering Committees and I can be a part of as many of those or as few as I want.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Teratoma

No. But it is not perfect.

Don't get me wrong here. I am not opposed to any ideas that would improve this team. My comments were made partly in jest. Primarily this is due to the fact that this topic was started by an outsider who has appointed him/herself as our "guide" or "consultant" without any information of who they are or where they came from. I need to see some qualifications or something. If this person thinks they are going to tell us what we should do and think we will just do so blindly, I think they need to reconsider their approach.

I work professionally as a consultant. I get paid for my expertise. Despite that, the people who are paying for that expertise are often reluctant to actually listen to me. It can take a long time to earn their trust and respect and even then they may not listen to me. Such arrogance will never get me anywhere.

So, until the OP has proven him/herself and continues with the anonymity, my responses will be less than serious.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast