Thread: This Is The Best Takedown Of The 'Speed Kills' Myth You'll Ever See

Diamond Member

This Is The Best Takedown Of The 'Speed Kills' Myth You'll Ever See

Totally worth the time to watch.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-best...you-1302382244

One refrain you hear frequently from insurance companies, police, and the media is that 'speed kills.' It doesn't, and this is the best debunking of that myth that we've ever seen.P

Speeding Australians Not Killed Because Speed Doesn't Kill
    Last week we saw what has to be the best takedown of the myth that speed kills ever documented. Now, an Australian magazine has taken an hour off the … Read…
    You're going to click play and then realize that this video is 15 minutes long, but it's totally worth it. I don't want to ruin the crux of the story and the evidence, but the use of actual facts and logic to get rid of the notion that lower speed limits is mind blowing.P

I already thought that speed limits were low, and that was without any facts. This video will make you go nuts with anger about speed limits. Seriously. You'll go all Hulk on the next limit sign you see after watching this.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Re: This Is The Best Takedown Of The 'Speed Kills' Myth You'll Ever See

You are preaching to the choir.... I wrote in about the stupid speed reduction in IL on I-90 a couple months ago. The response I got from the Illinois Department of Transportation said there was nothing they could do because 45mph is the law wherever there is construction. It doesn't matter that it is 10mph less than the two lane road that runs parallel to it even though I-90 is still a 4 lane divided highway while under construction. It doesn't matter that the road construction is over 100 yards away from the Westbound lanes. No, they blame the law. Uh.... who do you think got that law passed in the first place? IDOT or course! Or should that be IDiOT? Don't get me wrong. If people are working just a few feet or just on the other side of an orange cone, traffic should slow down. But, when they are working hundreds of feet away and separated by a concrete barrier, the only reason to lower the speed limit is stupidity. On a recent trip through Iowa and Nebraska, their construction limits were 55 and 65mph respectively. Again, proof that lawmakers in Illinois are "a little slow" (pun intended).
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

So true. I've said the same thing to many people for years - and the usual response I receive is either a deer in the headlights look or a cross eyed stare and some mumbling "about the children". Well, you know what? My parents would have kicked my rear end so hard I wouldn't be able to sit down for a week if I was caught playing ball in the street. Anyway, back to this guy's point, certainly on a divided highway, where traffic is flowing one direction and there is more than one lane, it is my contention there should be NO daytime speed limit. Let the motorists decide what they feel they can do. If they get in a wreck, THEY will pay for it.
    At some point we MUST put responsibility BACK in the minds and hearts of the people, and not be such a nanny state. Did you see how LOW German's accidents rates were??? Maybe it's partly because they're not depending on the Government to do the thinking for them and tell them how fast they can go. Just maybe they are actually calculating that in real-time in their brain and therefore, because they are more engaged in the situation, they do not get in so many accidents.

Past Administrator

Thanks for that link Z. I've emailed it to a few family and friends.

Yay for higher speeds...!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

"Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne