Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigabit speeds

Advisor - Stateside Division

Gigabit speeds

http://rstfiber.com/releases/rst-fib...gigabit-state/

I've been talking with this company a little over the past few months and it looks like within a few more months I'll be able to have 1000Mbps/1000Mbps up/down with a static IP too ($99/month). Considering the highest available currently is 50/5 (which I was an early adopter of) this promises to be fairly radical. Rivaling Google Fiber in Kansas. Which btw Google are also looking at the RTP area for their next potential rollout too. In talking with one of the local city commissioners yesterday it looks like our town (Wake Forest) is really pushing to become the first gigabit town in NC to attract more business.

Silver Member

Re: Gigabit speeds

Hot diggity dog!

Past Administrator

That is just too cool. Great news for your state.

Too bad states like Illinois (my home state) are controlled by mega greedy politicians. Because a company like RST would never get passed all the back door wheeling & dealing, red tape mumbo jumbo.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Sorry for putting this in here. Docking is not on my FreeDC stats account, it just disappeared but I am running the project the same way, can you fix that Bok?
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Past Administrator

Wow. That is just amazing speeds. If that IS our capability then what is the "excuse" for the limited bandwidth we all get currently?

Gold Member

The few that are in verizon fios can get blazing synchronous speeds. Also in Louisiana the lus fiber is blazing fast as well. Smart way for nc to build infrastructure and attract business.

Vic (mobile)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Wow. That is just amazing speeds. If that IS our capability then what is the "excuse" for the limited bandwidth we all get currently?
    That is strictly a matter of greed. U.S. has some of the highest fees for the lowest speeds on the planet.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

I agree to a certain extent, but setting aside the "greed" issue, what I meant is that they have such very limited roll out. I cannot seem to get anything faster at my office than 6Mbits DSL at the moment, even though they promised way faster service was coming over a year ago! It's not even a matter of me not wanting to pay their fee. Faster service just isn't even available "yet". ???
    That's what I'm bummed about. If this was Alaska then I would understand. But it's not.

Gold Member

Nice speed! We are upgrading from 15Mbps to 100Mbps fiber at the office (for $1500/mo) but the best I can get here at home is still 50/5 via cable. 1000Mbps @ $100 is CHEAP!!!!!
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I agree to a certain extent, but setting aside the "greed" issue, what I meant is that they have such very limited roll out. I cannot seem to get anything faster at my office than 6Mbits DSL at the moment, even though they promised way faster service was coming over a year ago! It's not even a matter of me not wanting to pay their fee. Faster service just isn't even available "yet". ???
    That's what I'm bummed about. If this was Alaska then I would understand. But it's not.
    Oh that. That is what is called throttling. It's very intentional btw.
    The reason they throttle is because their backbone(s) (Their primary data lines)
    A. Are not as wide ([The largest single packet in MB that can be transmitted on a single data line] x [The total # of data lines they own or lease]) as they let on.
    B. Are not as fast as they let on.
    C. Are not solely dedicated to their home subscribers. In fact, much is reserved for corporate clients and 3rd party leasing. The public user base get the scraps. And they charge you a very high premium with the "promise" of improved speeds at some undisclosed future date.

In other words they are bullshitting everyone but must subscribers are too ignorant or too apathetic to ever demand better performance for their dollar. That would require voting with their wallet which could mean having to do without the latest DWTS FB update or their daily quota of pron......

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast