Thread: PrimeGrid: Upgrading to OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) NOT recommended due to broken CUDA supp

Diamond Member

PrimeGrid: Upgrading to OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) NOT recommended due to broken CUDA supp

If you are currently running any BOINC CUDA projects (not just PrimeGrid) on an Nvidia GPU we recommend that you do NOT UPGRADE to OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) at this time. According to the BOINC Wiki, the Nvidia CUDA driver is broken. After ugrading to OS X 10.9, you will likely be unable to run any BOINC CUDA tasks until Nvidia fixes the driver. There's an ongoing discussion located here.

More...

Gold Member

Re: PrimeGrid: Upgrading to OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) NOT recommended due to broken CUDA

All of the Collatz OpenCL apps fail on it as well for ATI.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Diamond Member

Re: PrimeGrid: Upgrading to OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) NOT recommended due to broken CUDA

GTK! Thanks. I'll wait.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    the Nvidia CUDA driver is broken. After ugrading to OS X 10.9, you will likely be unable to run any BOINC CUDA tasks until Nvidia fixes the driver.
    Ummm...this seems backwards logically. The Nvidia and AMD drivers worked. OS X worked. OS X was changed, not the Nvidia and AMD drivers. Therefor it follows that OS X is broken, not the Nvidia or AMD driver.

What they're basically saying is they had a CD that worked. The Pioneer car stereo worked. They wanted a better Pioneer car stereo so they changed it. Now the CD doesn't work. You complain to Pioneer about it and they tell you your CD is broken, not the new Pioneer stereo. You have your doubts, so you play your CD on previous Pioneer car stereos. It works just fine. You play it on car stereos from another brand. Again, it works just fine. You begin getting angry and report this to Pioneer, who yet again insists your CD is broken, not the new stereo....really?

Infuriating

[/nitpick]

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Ummm...this seems backwards logically. The Nvidia and AMD drivers worked. OS X worked. OS X was changed, not the Nvidia and AMD drivers. Therefor it follows that OS X is broken, not the Nvidia or AMD driver.

What they're basically saying is they had a CD that worked. The Pioneer car stereo worked. They wanted a better Pioneer car stereo so they changed it. Now the CD doesn't work. You complain to Pioneer about it and they tell you your CD is broken, not the new Pioneer stereo. You have your doubts, so you play your CD on previous Pioneer car stereos. It works just fine. You play it on car stereos from another brand. Again, it works just fine. You begin getting angry and report this to Pioneer, who yet again insists your CD is broken, not the new stereo....really?

Infuriating

[/nitpick]
    When has "Apple" ever ever ever admitted to fubaring anything they have created...????

The answer: ALMOST NEVER. Remember the iPhony 4 fiasco with the antenna problem? (aka Apple Antennagate)

Steve Jobs Denies iPhone 4 Antenna Problems (Link)

Apple responds to iPhone 4 reception issues: you're holding the phone the wrong way (Link)

Lab tests: Why Consumer Reports can't recommend the iPhone 4 (Link)
    *Note: The CR Blog is no more. No reference exists on CR's site of the blog or the test report of the IPhony 4. hmmmmmmm..........

The Applegate Saga (Link)

Also remember these...???
    Thread: Apple Claims iPhone 5's Unfit Camera is "Normal" (Link)
    Thread: iPhone 5 Fails at Retaining 4G LTE Signal. Android Phones Excell (Link)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I needed to upgrade XCode, the development tools for OS X, in order to compile versions compatible with OS X Maverick. The funny part is that Maverick still uses GCC 4.2.1 which is a relatively old version. Then again, all the OS X tools are woefully out of date. Funnier yet is that GCC 4.2.1 is the same version used for OS X 10.8 yet that version was backward compatible with OS X 10.6 and 10.7. The Maverick version of the same GCC compiler can no longer compile apps for OS X 10.5 thru 10.7. I guess that's one way for Apple to piss people off -- errr... I mean convince them to upgrade. While Maverick is a free upgrade, you have to be on a recent version in order to do it. If you need to upgrade from 10.6, you will have to buy the 10.8 upgrade first and then download the free 10.8 to 10.9 upgrade.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    If you need to upgrade from 10.6, you will have to buy the 10.8 upgrade first and then download the free 10.8 to 10.9 upgrade.
    No. It is free to upgrade from 10.6 (snow leopard), 10.7 (lion), and 10.8 (mountain lion). No need to buy anything to get to 10.9 (mavericks).

If you have 10.5 (leopard) or earlier, you need to get somehow get yourself to at least 10.6.

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

FWIW, I am pretty sure that anything that shipped with 10.5 will not run 10.9 anyway. So if you have a machine that can accept 10.9, you shouldn't have to pay anything to upgrade.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    No. It is free to upgrade from 10.6 (snow leopard), 10.7 (lion), and 10.8 (mountain lion). No need to buy anything to get to 10.9 (mavericks).

If you have 10.5 (leopard) or earlier, you need to get somehow get yourself to at least 10.6.

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

FWIW, I am pretty sure that anything that shipped with 10.5 will not run 10.9 anyway. So if you have a machine that can accept 10.9, you shouldn't have to pay anything to upgrade.
    Thanks for the correction. I should know better than to re-post without checking the facts. But, we all know that if it is posted on the Internet, it has to be true, right? ;-)

Gold Member

Why Mavericks instead of Maverick? Rumor has it that it is a surfing spot in CA near where some execs live. I'm not a fan of naming it a plural. Seems kind of dumbs to me, like the "s" doesn't belongs theres.

Diamond Member

Yeah, it was named after the surfing thing. I agree, a plural for a name suxors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavericks_(location)