Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Division

Silver Member

Team Division

Ok there is enough people going for teams that no matter what we will now have teams. But what will they be?

Beer had this and I think it’s a Great layout

Milestone Division:

Those are chasing MegaMilestones across all projects. Can support challenges, certain projects if it is on their "path"

BlackOps
    Members willing to go everywhere. They are the first one out, when needed in a challenge. Very competitive members. Always looking "to pick a fight"

Topslot Division:

These are the members that wanna see SETI.USA take overall #1. They crunch best paying projects, optimize and calculate how to obtain maximum output. Can supports challenges. These members provide the solid baseline of RAC to keep us in the game.

Defend/FB Division:

These members defend individual projects in danger. Can me matched with those particular interested in FB.

Reserve Division:

Casual "crunch what you want" members, who is acting as backup on challenges, when position is defended or any other "not planned" happening.

If anyone has thoughts about it please post here!
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Admin

Re: Team Division

Ohh....Yeah....I had one more idea...

The divisions must have 2 "captains"....The only task of those 2 would be to email 4 other people in time of need....Those 4 members should email 8 others...Well you get the idea....

Then no more need for mass email distribution...
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28´th December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    Ohh....Yeah....I had one more idea...

The divisions must have 2 "captains"....The only task of those 2 would be to email 4 other people in time of need....Those 4 members should email 8 others...Well you get the idea....

Then no more need for mass email distribution...
    Just like a church phone tree... that's a great idea!
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Past Administrator

Sounds good. Beginning to draw up some plans. This question might be for Hankey, Tera, STM, Bok - anyone with good VBulletin experience:

How much can we automate the administrative side of things? For example, I would think EVERY single person who signs up on our board, should have access to the "Reserve Division" forum. That would be a good jumping off point for anyone, even someone from another team checking us out.

Could we make the other division forums "access level only", like the groups are? If we could, someone could request access to a certain division forum, and the leader of that division could allow them access. Kind of like the group thing we have going on now. For example, someone wanting into BlackOps "joins" and then I am sent an email saying "your group needs administrative action", and then I am taken to a page that I can accept or reject that individual's application. All this happens without the Admins having to step in and waste their time on it - they have more global issues to deal with.

If we can get something like that sorted out, then each division having 2 captains, like was suggested above, will really speed the process along. Odds are, at least 1 of the 2 will have 'Net access at any give time, and all this division overhead would be solved by a few individuals interested in their division - something they would enjoy doing, and offloading a potentially daunting task from the 2 global admins each year.

EDIT: I think TM must have something similar to this with their SpecialOps section, but I'm not sure how much is automated, as I think the admin approves each one there.
    Last edited by DrPop; 01-20-11 at 05:27 PM.

Silver Member

This morning I created a group in the forums with 5 Divisions based on Beerdrinker's layout and description. Mr. Hankey was kind enough to not kick me off the boards after I did this along with fixing some of the settings.

These 5 Divisions are not open for posting, I simply wanted everyone to get an idea of what this might look like along with any recommendations for name changes and or description changes. I simply alphabetized the order so that is why they are arranged in this manner.

It would appear to me that we are leaning in the direction of divisions so I took the initiative to act. I know some names have been dropped here and there about those that would make good Division Captains, Gunnys, or whatever you want to call them.

Volunteering for such positions would be nice too since a previously named individual may not want the responsibility... so I think this would be a good time to step-up and say something.

What say you?

After looking at it for a while I think the "Reserves" should be called something else. This is probably a bias idea from my years as agent of death but our units always look down on non tabbed much less non full time. I have no idea what to call it and there is defiantly a space for it.

How about “Core” or “Nucleus” “Setiist” I feel that’s where most people start from. How many people come to BOINC and say I want to crunch more then anyone else? How many people come to BOINC because they see something about it and what to help that project? I wouldn’t want them to be discouraged from joining a group.

I feel that the members are going to be what pushes us forward. They should at least get a cool name.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Advisor - Stateside Division

I think you have to be an admin of some degree to do this. If I'm understanding his correctly, you'd create usergroups for each forum and only users who are members of that usergroup can access the forum. An admin would have to add the usergroup to each user in question.

Of course you can tighten down the permissions of each and every admin individually if required so you could do it that way.

Bok

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Sounds good. Beginning to draw up some plans. This question might be for Hankey, Tera, STM, Bok - anyone with good VBulletin experience:

How much can we automate the administrative side of things? For example, I would think EVERY single person who signs up on our board, should have access to the "Reserve Division" forum. That would be a good jumping off point for anyone, even someone from another team checking us out.

Could we make the other division forums "access level only", like the groups are? If we could, someone could request access to a certain division forum, and the leader of that division could allow them access. Kind of like the group thing we have going on now. For example, someone wanting into BlackOps "joins" and then I am sent an email saying "your group needs administrative action", and then I am taken to a page that I can accept or reject that individual's application. All this happens without the Admins having to step in and waste their time on it - they have more global issues to deal with.

If we can get something like that sorted out, then each division having 2 captains, like was suggested above, will really speed the process along. Odds are, at least 1 of the 2 will have 'Net access at any give time, and all this division overhead would be solved by a few individuals interested in their division - something they would enjoy doing, and offloading a potentially daunting task from the 2 global admins each year.

EDIT: I think TM must have something similar to this with their SpecialOps section, but I'm not sure how much is automated, as I think the admin approves each one there.

Past Admin

After giving it some consideration....I would be willing to step up and lead one division, if we come to the desicion that the only task is to email members of the division in the time of need.

The focus, projects to go to and any other things must lie with the majority within the division.

I am best suited for etiher "Reserves" or "Topslot"
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28´th December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I think you have to be an admin of some degree to do this. If I'm understanding his correctly, you'd create usergroups for each forum and only users who are members of that usergroup can access the forum. An admin would have to add the usergroup to each user in question.

Of course you can tighten down the permissions of each and every admin individually if required so you could do it that way.

Bok
    Yes you do... I was thinking about this this morning, as far as the divisions within our team, I think that all S.USA members should have access to all of the divisions; I'm not sure that it is a good idea to give specific permission to each member to be allowed into BlackOps or MM's or whatever. We are a team and should be allowed to travel freely within our "own borders" if that makes sense.

We have "Friends of S.USA" that come and go and say hello, which is great, who are not "members" of S.USA. I don't think that our friends should have the ability to go wherever they please. Some things need to remain within team ranks.

Also there is the ability within vBulletin to hide forums to those that do not have access.

I understand that this will take some reconfiguring of vBulletin and will add to the workload, that is why I am willing to devote my time to help the Admin to do this... I know that we are requesting a lot of the Admin and I want them to know that there are those of us here that are willing to help bare the burden of what we are asking.

Edit... one more thing...

I also want to mention that I have a site with vBulletin installed and it is operational although it is not a "live" site. We could use this to experiment with and come up with a working model before making such changes here if that would make Mr. Hankey and Teratoma feel better. I know that the mixture of User Groups, Permissions and getting all of the Forums configured correctly can be a nightmare.
    Last edited by STMahlberg; 01-21-11 at 10:55 AM.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Harley

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    After looking at it for a while I think the "Reserves" should be called something else. This is probably a bias idea from my years as agent of death but our units always look down on non tabbed much less non full time. I have no idea what to call it and there is defiantly a space for it.

How about “Core” or “Nucleus” “Setiist” I feel that’s where most people start from. How many people come to BOINC and say I want to crunch more then anyone else? How many people come to BOINC because they see something about it and what to help that project? I wouldn’t want them to be discouraged from joining a group.

I feel that the members are going to be what pushes us forward. They should at least get a cool name.

I think "SUSA Core Division" or "SUSA Corps" would be good.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I think "SUSA Core Division" or "SUSA Corps" would be good.
    I like SUSA Core.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast