Thread: Discounts on software...

Administrator

Discounts on software...

I had to buy an antivirus program for The Annihilatrix and found this sale for Symantec this morning. They're having a 50% off sale depending on what you buy.

Norton 360 v4.0

I've been using this for a few years now and like Norton overall; I don't know if anyone else uses it but it's on sale for $40 right now. Not sure how long the sale lasts though.

Thought I would share.

*On a side note, the Active Sonar in this version will knock out Androinc, so I had to go in and tell it to ignore the BOINC PROJECT directories. Also while configuring it, BOINC Manager stopped working... I'm not sure why but I had to reinstall BOINC then everything worked just fine.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Silver Member

Re: Discounts on software...

I stick to Free.avg.com

Been using AVG on all my machines for the last 5 or so years, Free and cant complain.

Past Administrator

OK, I need to chime in here....

I have used Norton AV (NAV) and Norton Systemworks on previous systems for many years. Currently, I use AVG for Anti-Virus and Agnitum's Outpost for my Firewall.

NAV is still the De Facto standard for Virus protection. AVG is essentially as good as NAV but has one annoying difference, it is VERY intrusive of internet use. Much more so than there needs to be.

Edit: Had a two paragraph+ dissertation going. All gone now so you guys are save
    NAV = Really Good
    Anything else Norton = Not worth the money IMHO.
    Norton's Firewall < Agnitum's Outpost
    Norton's Windoctor < CCleaner
    Norton's SpeedDisk (Not updated for Vista/Win7) > Auslogics Disk DeFrag (But works on Vista/Win7)
    Norton's Clean Sweep and the other Utils </= Equivalent Free stuff on the net.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Cappy

i have used NOD32 for YEARS and have no problems with it at all....

Norton gave me all kinda problems with gaming and such and gave up on it quik.

Mcafee worked ok but NOD32 so far has been the best i have used in years.

have used it so long now cant tell ya how long its been lol....

on my Cruncher only machines(not in use right now) they are all AVG or

AVAST which is also a FREE Antivirus program which has performed just as well

as AVG