Thread: New Old Lady

KaCe

Wink New Old Lady

I am a 67 year old happily married woman (43+ yrs) who loves technology. I am self taught on computers so I have a number of voids in my education. This project looked interesting and signed up to help. I use a Mac...since they came out, prior to that AppleIIe; prior to that a WANG (for doing civil engineering computations). My major in college was technology at Western Washington University in Bellingham, WA. I gradutated before computers were widely accepted and when technology was drafting/engineering and graphics and materials and processes. I would love to know more about how to interact here, but do not comprehend exactly how seti all works. I would like to know if there are groups of people who have face-to-face meetings? It would be good for me to be able to meet others interested in this topic so that I can "fast track" my learning. As good as computers are there is nothing like talking directly... I do suppose some sort of Skype or Face-to-Face app would do too. If anyone is interested in helping me learn more please contact me @ KaCesMac@gmail.com (This email is just for Mac and Seti, so any messages would not be buried in miles of spam) I don't check it as often because it isn't a highly used email.

I am an artist that works in pen&ink, I do sumi-e (Japanese style ink paintings) and also fuse and slump glass. I am a former AF brat that has lived (and loved it) on Okinawa (60-63) and in the SE USA. I am from Eastern Washington State, but now live in Western Washington. I love animals. My favorite breed of dog is the Dhoki Apso... perfect size for me. Love their long coats and grooming nightly (great time to bond). Currently have a rescued Havanese named HannaH. I have lived in Alaska and like it too.

I am the "handy-man" in our house and generally like doing it. I have experience with electrical, plumbing, flooring (hardwood and linoleum), sheetrocking, lathe and plaster, tiling, formica counter tops, painting, insulating, etc. So I am the "Go-To-Girl" in my family. My dad taught me to use his table saw at 10 years old, to use a rifle about the same time, to tie flies about then, too. I spent my youth fly fishing with Dad in Eastern Washington and loving it. (I haven't fished since I've grown up, just not what my family does now) I also like making jewelry in fine metals and beads. I enjoy wireworking and have made several nice fine silver bracelets in JenPens braid and Byzantine. I've done some Viking Weave in fine silver and copper.

I could go on...and on, but won't. I'll save you from that. I hope someone will think me worthy of mentoring on this subject. (I have two unused PC's older, but since they just sit they could be wiped clean, and have Ubuntu installed and used, but I'm not up to doing it alone.) (I actually have an older Mac, my 8500 that could also be used once the HD is saved) Anyway, that's me. I don't play games, I am pedantic, I know... I enjoy people of all ages, I prefer younger people in many ways as some of my older friends don't want to learn about computers. I said at the beginning of this paragraph that I'd stop and still haven't... that sorta tells you something about me. When I get excited about a topic it's hard to shutdown. Thanks for your patience.

Oh. My given name is Kathryn Cecelia. I use it in full or parts or abbreviate it to KaCe, pronounced Casey. I'll read more later, I'm late for a meeting, but wanted to finish this note.

KaCe

Gold Member

Re: New Old Lady

Welcome and we are glad that you found us. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. We have a lot of helpful experts around. Let us know what projects you are interested in and please feel free to join the team in the challenges.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Diamond Member

Hello KaCe and
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

Welcome KaCe, thanks for the introduction, if only all new members would come in like that. Glad you found the team, while I have been doing this for a long time, I'm no expert. We do have several of those that can help you with almost anything on a computer. There is a chat line you can join or you can ask on the open forum, or with private messages. lots of way to communicate. some of us have meet other team members, but distance is always a problem. Hope you learn to enjoy crunching projects.
    Rick
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Gold Member

Welcome! And Caution! This team is so helpful with new members they may actually be mythological sirens. You hear all the wonderful things they have to say and the next thing you know, you are buying another computer to add to your "farm" and finding new reasons to ressurrect older, retired computers. We have a number of MAC and Linux experts who frequent the message boards and jump at the chance to answer questions. So ask away and prepare to be "hooked" on a new hobby.

Also, even though the team name is SETI.USA, The majority of our active members participate in a lot more projects than just SETI as we enjoy competitions with other teams in many different projects. So don't be surprised if the discussions aren't centered around just the SETI project.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Good morning, KaCe! Welcome to the team and what a first post! Glad you found us and please know we are always there to help if something gets hung up in BOINC or you have questions about a project, or whatever else might come up.
    Thanks for joining us and please come back often!

Past Administrator

Aloha KaCe and welcome aboard.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Z-TAC

Hi KaCe,

Welcome to the forum. I have a standing offer for new forum members to do 4 days of crunching with the credits going to you. For complete details, see http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...ll=1#post72385

BUT, for the first qualifying new member, I'll do 5 days of crunching for free!

I hope you'll learn a lot and have fun in the team.
    Last edited by Z-TAC; 02-07-14 at 04:24 PM.