Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collatz is down

Gold Member

Collatz is down

Looks like things stopped about 20:35 Eastern.

Gold Member

Re: Collatz is down

Naturally,I'm away for the weekend taking advantage of the MLK holiday. Looks like it is server related as I can VPN in to my home network but there's no response to ping or rsh to the Collatz server. That's the good news. The bad news is that the off site backups don't appear to have worked for a while so I hope the backup (a.k.a. previous Collatz server) has a good copy from the nightly job and/or that I can get the current server back up and running w/o losing much data. I'll know more after I get back home later this evening.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Diamond Member

I have 2 tasks of Collatz that are now outdated, should I abort them or let it go?

They were finished on time but the fact Collatz have been down for so kong surpassed the expiration date.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    I have 2 tasks of Collatz that are now outdated, should I abort them or let it go?

They were finished on time but the fact Collatz have been down for so kong surpassed the expiration date.
    I would keep them, I think you will get credit for them
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Gold Member

The server is two hundred miles away and 100% unresponsive. I don't have a magic crystal ball with me to read the future so I have no idea whether it can be repaired or whether I'll need to set up a new BOINC server from scratch. Until I figure that out, it would be like me trying to guess how much Obama will raise my taxes next year. I just really don't know.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    The server is two hundred miles away and 100% unresponsive. I don't have a magic crystal ball with me to read the future so I have no idea whether it can be repaired or whether I'll need to set up a new BOINC server from scratch. Until I figure that out, it would be like me trying to guess how much Obama will raise my taxes next year. I just really don't know.
    I hope computers are more trustable than politicians or are they lying to me for all those years?

The computers of course because about the politicians I have no doubth that they are lying, they never learned how to speak the truth anyway.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

I know the feeling - how long how long how long....

Once asked a boss to step out into the hallway and away from where we were troubleshooting so we could talk. Then closed the door when he went through the doorway and we went back to work, in peace. To his credit, he took the hint and left us be.

Good luck with it, hope it turns out well for us, if not oh well. It has only been a few days.

Gold Member

The server drives are pretty much toast. Only one is recognized at boot and that doesn't help much when it is in a raid 5 array. Having just replaced two of them a several months back, I'm thinking it may also be controller related so the controller and all drives are being replaced. I'll probably add a couple hot spares this time just to be safe. Unfortunately, my 31 year old furnace is being replaced tomorrow so I can't run over to MicroCenter, TigerDirect, or CDW to pick up the new hardware until that's done. Also, Docsis 2 to Docsis 3 upgrade should also take place between now and the time the server is ready to go back online so the network speed should be better when the server does come back online. Regardless, it will probably be a couple weeks to rebuild the server and get all the BOINC and Collatz software rebuilt/re-installed.

Gold Member

ooffff well, one can only do what one can. Good luck with the rebuild Slicker!
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Gold Member

I have 130 gpu wus left to crunch, should I suspend them now or crunch them until done?

I have 1850+ gpu wus completed and waiting to upload. I will just let them sit until servers are back online and see what happens.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast