Thread: Newegg is gouging and Litecoin sucks

Newegg is gouging and Litecoin sucks

Was reading one of my geek mags and saw the R9 280x cards. AMD set the price point at $300 and they are basically a 7970 so I went shopping. You have to read the blogs to figure out what is going on but these Litecoin asses are buying them up. Newegg is hitting $130 over the MSRP. What a bunch of BS, I went to Litecoin and started reading. I do have to give them credit, the math and tweaks they were applying to these cards was past me. I had 4 5830's and 4 5870's I was putting to bed, guess I'll wait a little longer. I understand the creation fosters demand but what actually do these Litecoin GPU's do?

Gold Member

Re: Newegg is gouging and Litecoin sucks

Newegg is out of control on their prices. Finding a r9 280x in stock at a reasonable price has been tough. I have one coming from SuperBiiz tomorrow (gigabyte rev2 - $399). They all seems to be $399+. TigerDirect has had a few in stock lately, their MSI R9 280x is one day available on line, the next in store only (also $399). Almost bought one of the MSI from Tiger, but I have another Gigabyte GV-R928XOC-3GD REV2 on back order from Amazon for only $305. I would rather wait and see if Amazon fills it than cancel and spend $80 more. Back ordered since 12/9/2013 <sigh>. I could turn a nice profit on that card, if I ever get it.

Platinum Member

The good news about it is one day, a crapton of 7970s and R9-280s will all get dumped on eBay right around the same time. They're going to be soooo cheap

Gold Member

Something tells me I haven't been paying attention to the news again.

edit: Or not ... I misread John's post the first time. I thought it said in a day they will all be dumped, as in this week. oops
    Last edited by EmSti; 01-23-14 at 10:29 PM.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    The good news about it is one day, a crapton of 7970s and R9-280s will all get dumped on eBay right around the same time. They're going to be soooo cheap
    Yeah, that's similar to why I am pissed about apple not announcing a haswell mac mini yet. It would kill the *strong* used mac mini market for the current (old) IB mac mini.

I have dreams...This is a single rack with 160 mac minis. 160 x 8 thread i7 = 1280 threads. Of course, my personal goal is not that large. But still, a significant price drop would be appreciated.

Last edited by zombie67; 01-23-14 at 11:08 PM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Crikey, Z, I hope you own stock in your local electric utility
    Last edited by myshortpencil; 01-23-14 at 11:11 PM.

Diamond Member

Heh. Only 85w per mini.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Heh. Only 85w per mini.
    I count 160 minis in that dream, or 13.6 Kw per hour!

Diamond Member

Well, that is max for the PSU. So probably less draw then that. But do the math per thread. It's very low.

Gold Member

If you go the tigerdirect, they have $10 back on orders over $50 until 1/24. Not the same as Litecoin, but TigerDirect just announce they will accept Bitcoins - http://www.tigerdirect.com/bitcoin/indexus.asp