Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HTPC/Cruncher Build

Silver Member

HTPC/Cruncher Build

Guys I need some help. I am going to build a HTPC/Cruncher and I need some ideers. I plan to go with windows 8.1 and this casehttp://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Al...&keywords=gd06. But that is it I am so far behind on the latest and greatest. I have a spare Evga gtx-465 that I will use in this unit. I need mother board, power supply, ram, drives, SSD drive, cpu, cpu cooler, and im sure I forgot something. I have had good luck with ASUS in the past but am open to all suggestions.

I guess I might play a few games but I don't need the biggest and best. I my budget is around 500.00 +/-.

All your base are belong to us!

Platinum Member

Re: HTPC/Cruncher Build

You know what goes good with lots of ideers? Lots of beers

Quick question: does the $500 budget include that case or no?

Silver Member

yup 500.00 is my goal. All I have is the GPU. If it is 600 that is still ok just not wanting to spend 1000.00 on one!

Gold Member

HTPC/Cruncher Build

Is used an option? A dell precision t5500 can be had turn key for less than 300 bucks shipped. Upgrade to a westmere Xeon 5650 2.66 6core (12ht) for another 125-150, or you can go dual if budget permits.

The dell is packed with an 850w power supply and is built like a brick s#!+house. Well cooled, sturdy, quiet.

Vic (mobile)

Past Administrator

Hey aux9o,

If ya wish to keep it small then you might find some good ideas from my thread Special Report: Project Z-Wave... (here)

Some of the components have been updated since I posted that thread. The ASRock MB in that post is no longer available and it's replacement has a potential problem, The MB vRegs for the integrated GPU do not have heatsinks. So going the ASRock route would necessitate adding your own heatsinks, but that is an inexpensive solution and easy to do.

For the AMD platform I like the GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN-WIFI (Newegg Link)

If you want an Intel solution in the mini-ITX form factor, then have a look at these MBs (Newegg Link)

I like the CM Elite 130 (Newegg Link) over the Elite 120 in my thread as no modding is required for a AIO water cooling solution.

Other Case ideas
    Corsair Obsidian 250D:
    Linus TechTip video review (Link)
    Newegg (Link)

BitFenix Phenom M: (There are 2 versions of the Phenom. One for mITX and one for mATX)
    Linus TechTip video overview (Link)
    Newegg (Link)

Note: Newegg is no longer the low price leader, so it's likely you'll find better prices elsewhere.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

It used to be: Go to physical store to browse and identify the item you want, then go online for the best price.

Now it is: Go to newegg to browse and identify the item you want, then go elsewhere online for the best price.

Sometimes newegg is competitive. But often not so much. Which is a shame.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    It used to be: Go to physical store to browse and identify the item you want, then go online for the best price.

Now it is: Go to newegg to browse and identify the item you want, then go elsewhere online for the best price.

Sometimes newegg is competitive. But often not so much. Which is a shame.
    I'm with you; I search for products on Newegg then price-compare elsewhere. But now that Amazon charges sales tax in TN and Newegg allows local pickup, a few dollars premium is worth it to me - especially since I get to avoid packages on my porch (and the associated spousal questioning)!

Silver Member

What do yall think about these?

Intel Core i5-4570 http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Quad-Cor...ef=pd_sim_pc_5
    Asus Z87I-Deluxe http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Corsair Obsidian 250D http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Corsair CX Series 500 Watt http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Modula...c+power+supply
    Intel 530 Series 240GB http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTPYT78/...=ICYJL0BHCBZX8

If you have suggestions please advise. Also I have no clue what kinda ram I need to get. I would like to get the best brands that will last the longest and it looks like my 500.00 limit is not gonna cut it.

Past Administrator

First off, I love the case!

As to RAM, I've always had good luck with Corsair but according to JPM's RMA thread, Corsair is lower tier (that hold true for PSUs too). I also know JPM is a big fan of Mushkin.

Performance wise, the Samsung 540 Pro series is the SSD of choice.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    First off, I love the case!

As to RAM, I've always had good luck with Corsair but according to JPM's RMA thread, Corsair is lower tier (that hold true for PSUs too). I also know JPM is a big fan of Mushkin.
    Mushkin does make good RAM modules, but i wouldn't say i'm partial to them. I like Patriot and G.Skill equally well. Oh and Crucial too. Used to be a big fan of Kingston but they haven't impressed me very much spec-wise since DDR3 became the new standard.

Corsair's RAM does fail more often than most other brands, but it still has the lifetime warranty like anyone else. It's a PITA to have to deal with the RMA process when you don't have to by purchasing something more reliable. Also if you compare the specs of any given Corsair RAM kit, you can find the exact same thing cheaper elsewhere. Corsair assembles RAM modules using chips made by someone else (someone else makes Corair's PSUs, someone else makes Corsair's water coolers, etc.).

The only thing worth buying from corsair are their cases. They may not make those either, i'm not sure But at least it can't fail. And some look absolutely great

Performance wise, the Samsung 540 Pro series is the SSD of choice.
    100% true. However if you'd like to save some money, the Samsung EVO series is the next best thing. I bought one in November and love it
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 02-09-14 at 08:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast