Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Maxwell Gen 1

Administrator

Re: Maxwell Gen 1

Well, you just stopped me from buying 2. Please keep us update...as if you wouldn't.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    No they don't have many cores as this is a lower-midrange GPU. There are a few reasons i'm really interested in this though. It's the first chip based on the Maxwell architecture and since it's not a high-end GPU, the performance of the 750Ti will actually dictate how the rest of the Maxwell GPUs (the GTX 800 series) perform. Efficiency always increases as you move to the larger more expensive GPUs and with the 750Ti's GFLOPS/W rating starting out higher than even a GTX 780Ti, it follows that the rest of the 800 series would completely obliterate anything else ever made.

Another thing about the GPUs is you could buy 8 of the GTX 750Ti's for about the price of a Titan but compute 2.32 times faster. Another reason i like looking at these lower-end cards is the lower power draw allows manufacturers to make them only 1 slot wide, and i like finding GPUs i can stick in empty slots just as fillers. Currently this is the fastest, most power efficient GPU that is only 1 slot wide: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125468 I was first to review it If the 750 and 750Ti are as good as Nvidia says they are, they will become my new #1 choice.
    But, can you water cool it...?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Can we cool it with beer?
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Platinum Member

However, double-precision math is further pared back to 1/32 the rate of FP32; that was 1/24 in the mainstream Kepler-based GPUs.
    $%^$%*! Nvidia

Silver Member

Not very good for crunching. In Europe the 750ti costs the same as the "old" 660GTX,
    but the second one has 150% power related to the new maxwell.
    For energy purposes the new one is better but both have low power consumption.

plus a question : if I have two ATIs running how do I add a Nvidia in third PCIe port for different projects like Einstein or GPUGrid,
    tried this often before but it never worked as I had expected. Used a cc_config for these trials.

Platinum Member

If you're using windows vista you can't. Must be xp, 7 or 8. In linux I'm not sure. That's someone else's specialty.

Edit: fp64 has always been horrible from nvidia. People use them for the fp32.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

Silver Member

All my boxes run with Windows 7 or 8.
    I had the problem that the strong GPUs ran the slow projects ,as Einstein is, after a few hours or days,
    The small one made less problems and I was able to fix it to one project.
    I could use a slow Ati without any problems but this makes no sense to me.
    The third slot should only be used for this half Gpu projects like seti,einstein or wcg.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conf View Post
    plus a question : if I have two ATIs running how do I add a Nvidia in third PCIe port for different projects like Einstein or GPUGrid,
    tried this often before but it never worked as I had expected. Used a cc_config for these trials.
    No cc_config needed. Just install the Nvidia GPU, install drivers, then select the project you want to run and tell it to only use the Nvidia GPU, then you won't get AMD/ATI WUs from that project. The projects you want to run on AMD/ATI, don't allow them to use Nvidia.

After 3+ hours of digging and digging for real numbers and more info, i found 2 things important to note

First is that manufacturers (most likely Zotac and Gigabyte) have stated they will be making true single-slot versions of not only the GTX 750, but of the 750Ti as well. Game on! You can assume from this there will also be a LP version of at least the GTX 750 for Al

Second is it *does* appear compute has increased a good bit. I saw FAH Bench results that we proming (Folding at Home's benchmark). I also saw benchmarks in regards to alt-coin mining. Not what we're doing, but math is math. The results were very promising in both cases. When the tru single-slot versions come out, i will buy one that day and get some testing done.

Also thirdly, Nvidia seems to have underclocked these cards big time. People are reporting stable results at 1300MHz with a tiny 31mV bump. EVGA has a version of the 750 with a 1294MHz Boost out of the box (stock is 1085MHz). That's pretty significant.

Past Administrator

For crunching, an ATI/AMD GPU MUST occupy the first PCIe slot closest to the CPU. Then the 2nd & 3rd slots can be home to CUDA cards.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

So, where are we on this? Any of these new cards single slot?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast