Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server rack

Silver Member

Server rack

Is there a special problem I should be aware of using a rack - pc.
    There s a plenty of them in the Ebay result list and Im not sure if
    I could ůse them without anything else around. Viewing the according pictures
    reveales all that you need to run as a single box only with different appearence.
    I simply want to run it like a normal PC, is this possible ?

Silver Member

Re: Server rack

The form factor is good, depends on the hardware inside usually. I have a 45U cabinet in my apartment with all my computers. I run client hardware in the boxes though. Server hardware is less efficient for crunching typically. You'd want to purchase 4U cabinets if you'd need graphics cards and 2U if your running on chip graphics. It's definitely a space saver.

Diamond Member

The density will require electrical upgrades, if you load up a rack.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Sorry no idea what you mean with density.
    The racks I saw had one or two power supplies inside and
    I thought I can connect them to the normal electricity net. Graphics is nothing of interst for me in this case.
    I simply see several racks with two 5650 xeons or even better, meaning 24 cores and they are much cheaper than standalones.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by conf View Post
    The racks I saw had one or two power supplies inside and
    I thought I can connect them to the normal electricity net. Graphics is nothing of interst for me in this case.
    I simply see several racks with two 5650 xeons or even better, meaning 24 cores and they are much cheaper than standalones.
    Computers in a rack mount chassis (1U, 2U, or 4U height) are generally more noisy than their desktop counterparts, due to smaller and more numerous high RPM fans. So if noise is not a concern, then you can get some good bargains. However you may also be paying extra for the rugged nature of a server chassis. For instance, the better cooling, sometimes redundant power supplies, etc can increase cost over something like a server tower (Dell T5500).

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by conf View Post
    Sorry. I am talking about a rack (for example) with 20 1u servers, each with dual xeons. No way you can run that on a normal household electrical circuit. You would need to spread them across many different rooms, with different circuits. That defeats the goal of racking them (density).

Administrator

I had 3 stand alone 2U machines with dual Xeons (I don't have them anymore). They ran great, were totally reliable, and very inexpensive considering the computing power versus cost of new boxes. The only problem, and it was a major problem, was the noise. Each machine had 3 80mm fans than turned at VERY high RPM. They were extremely noisy. I finally took them out of the cases and used quiet 120mm fans blowing directly on the processors and memory and they ran great without any noise

Diamond Member

Yep. This is a huge issue for rack-mount server manufacturers, air flow/cooling vs noise. This is a HUGE reason low power CPUs are important to server farms, particularly TELCOs.

Silver Member

Noise in a room with 7 Graphic Cards seems to be my last problem.
    .. and Im talking about a single rack with one or two 56xx with 6/12 cores.
    Lets see if I find something cheap on Ebay.

Gold Member

I think our American definition of a rack differs from yours. Can you post a link about a rack you are considering?
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast