Thread: Maxwell's 80 Plus Silver Hammer?

Question Maxwell's 80 Plus Silver Hammer?

So what, if anything, does Nvidia's Maxwell launch mean for efficient crunching? It's making a splash with very impressive perf/watt numbers even on the old 28nm process:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...750_Ti/26.html

I'm trying to figure out what to put in a Dell Precision T5500. The documentation *says* two cards up to 150W each, but I'd rather not push/blast through even that relatively generous allowance if I don't have to. My workplace has been kind enough to say I can leave the machine at work, but who knows how long that largesse may last. I may end up with this on my own dime. Two highly efficient ~100W load supercards sound a treat if they become a reality. I don't think the 750 Ti represents that, yet, but should I wait with bated breath for the 20nm higher performance cards later this year? The upper-mid-range offering, whatever it may be, sounds like it could be the beast worth waiting for.

Of course, like most cheap desktop cards its double-precision performance is crippled to prevent it eviscerating every other market.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...w,3750-16.html

Scroll through a few more pages and take a gander. Am I reading the numbers right for performance based on the 750 Ti's 60W power draw? Would I be correct in saying, "Wow."? If nothing else I hope it draws some coin miners away so I can get a frikken' AMD card at a decent price again.

What say ye wizened and experienced crunchers?

Re: Maxwell's 80 Plus Silver Hammer?

Oh dagnabbit! I started this then got pulled into a meeting. When I came back I saw there was already a thread for Maxwell. *Shakes tiny fist at coworkers* Still curious to hear some real-world experience about it if anyone gets one.