Thread: To go along with "JPM's bored..." thread

Past Administrator

To go along with "JPM's bored..." thread

I've been thinking about a really cool project I'd like to do someday if it didn't cost too much for the coolness factor. Er...that should be geek factor!

What I'm thinking is, setting up a project where you had one of each CPU crunching a BOINC project, going back as far as you could. If we took a project like SETI for example, where the WU due date times are way long, what do you think is the *oldest* CPU architecture that could actually crunch it and turn in a valid result?
    Could a 486 DX (with the math co-processor) do it? A 386 DX? etc... wouldn't that be the ultimate in geekdom to have a lineup of them from oldest to newest in architecture churning out results?

*for bonus points you could install a popular game of that era - whatever was the rage to play when that CPU was in vogue, and people could play them haha!

Past Administrator

Re: To go along with "JPM's bored..." thread

Hmmm...maybe the weakest link here would be the BOINC client? System Requirements here. In which case it appears one would be limited to the Pentium and up, with a minimum of 64MB of RAM and higher.
    I would have thought at least with Linux you could go down to a 386, but maybe the limitation is something else.

Platinum Member

Linux actually dropped support for the 386 and older in their more recent kernels...something Windows should strongly consider :/

I like the idea though One day a museum might call and offer good money for those working ancient rigs

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Linux actually dropped support for the 386 and older in their more recent kernels...
    Oh. Well I guess that nixes that idea. Unless...maybe I could find an OLD version of the BOINC client somewhere that ran on the old Linux kernel? I'm sure there's some micro-tiny version of Linux out there that will still run on a 386, the problem I'm seeing here would be connecting it to BOINC. If I can't get a BOINC client that works with anything less than a Pentium, then there's my answer...because I'll be even the oldest BOINC client would require at least Win95/98 to run, right?

This looks like an interesting page for this kind of stuff.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    even the oldest BOINC client would require at least Win95/98 to run, right?
    It couldn't use DOS because it doesn't support multi-tasking. You could have more than 1 program open, but only 1 of them could run at a time.

Past Administrator

Heh. OK, that was a "good waste of time" as in a fun 2 hour academic pursuit. But I think that's where this project will remain - in the land of academia. When I counted up how much it would cost (eBay), how much space it would take, and how many watts it would burn . . . it's just not realistic. A nice thought though.

Silver Member

I'd hate to see how long a wu would take on that old of a machine.. It takes 15-17hrs for a pogs wu to complete on a intel atom 1.66ghz. I wouldn't want to imagine a 486.. lol

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I've been thinking about a really cool project I'd like to do someday if it didn't cost too much for the coolness factor. Er...that should be geek factor!

What I'm thinking is, setting up a project where you had one of each CPU crunching a BOINC project, going back as far as you could. If we took a project like SETI for example, where the WU due date times are way long, what do you think is the *oldest* CPU architecture that could actually crunch it and turn in a valid result?
    Could a 486 DX (with the math co-processor) do it? A 386 DX? etc... wouldn't that be the ultimate in geekdom to have a lineup of them from oldest to newest in architecture churning out results?

*for bonus points you could install a popular game of that era - whatever was the rage to play when that CPU was in vogue, and people could play them haha!
    I had an Acer 486 DX2/50 (4mb ram, 250mb HD, 3x SCSI CD-ROM) that I put a "Pentium Overdrive" chip in - was able to upgrade from Win3.1 to Win95 and it was my computer in college. Was still working last time I checked (8yrs ago) - only catch is that (I believe) it's in my ex's attic. Anyone wants it, I'll give you her number and YOU deal with her!!