Thread: GPU missing; intel_gpu missing after nividia driver update

Silver Member

GPU missing; intel_gpu missing after nividia driver update

So yesterday I finally got both the gpus (hd4000 and gtx 560) crunching. I see something about updating nvidia drivers so i check and see that my nvidia driver is WAY old and update. Now Boinc shows a status of gpu missing specifically solo_collatz 6.04 (opencl_intel_gpu). I did a reinstall of boinc and in advanced options i made sure NOT to select install as a service.

My next troubleshooting spec is to revert my nvidia driver and see what happens. I've already reinstalled the hd4000 driver but I think im going to try what worked for me in the past go to a cl1.1 driver and then back to 1.2 in the mean time I'm open to all feedback. Thanks!

Actually im just going to reboot after this and see what happens. As I haven't restarted windows since it is no longer a service; but it should have closed that with uninstall. Also to note when i right click on my desktop i only get Nvidia graphics menu, i did have intel graphics menu on the list too.

Diamond Member

Re: GPU missing; intel_gpu missing after nividia driver update

Sometimes, plugging in a monitor into the board video out makes BOINC see it. You may have to boot with the monitor plugged in.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

I had to plug in a monitor or dummy plug to get it noticed.

Silver Member

All this time i've had a monitor plugged into to it... when i first got it working the desktop was in "aero" mode extended but with seperate gpus running them i guess?? i had an intel graphics menu in the drop down menu if i right clicked the desktop, currently I only have the nvidia options, i used to have both.

I've turned the multiple monitor option on and off in the bios, i've reinstalled old and current hd 4000 driver along with the inte_SDK for open CL app package as well. When i first checked the display adapters after experiencing this problem i only had the nvidia gpu but now i see both again... but currently i have a collatz app gpu not found still.

Only thing I can think of is changing nvidia driver back to what I had it but I'd rather have the newer one if possible.

Diamond Member

The Intel is an IGD and the Nvidia is an PEG, that means one is onboard and the other is by PCIE. If it is like that you need to go to the BIOS and change GPU from PEG to IGD after that the system will see both.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Silver Member

Both GPU's currently show up in my device manager, i currently can manipulate both devices properties but boinc still says missing gpu. I did have it working both gpus with my current bios setup. i don't see anything in my bios about IGD or PEG. The mobo is an Asus sabertooth z77, in the BIOS i go to system agent under advanced settings and I can choose which one is my primary, i can change the ram allocated to the on cpu gpu, something about render standby, and the last thing is about enabling multimonitor with some text about some software thats required and came with the mobo but is not required.

This all happened after I updated to current nividia drivers for my 560, im thinking im gonna revert and see what happens. Also i currently have boinc installed WITHOUT the run as service thing selected. As I understand it I DON'T want that option selected for multiple intel gpus.

Silver Member

I wanted to post this because currently I am crunching on both GPUs. I rolled the nvidia driver back, not sure if that was the problem or not. I did see however that i was on opencl 1.1 according to intel graphics control so i ran that newest driver again (maybe closing boinc before making hardware driver changes in use is a good thing), now im showing open cl 1.2 on gpu driver release with a filename of win64_153314 and that manifests as driver version 10.18.10.3412 but WTF as i just checked that it says its open cl 1.1.. i dunno anymore I'm gonna leave things alone.