Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Titan Black Now Obselete

Re: Titan Black Now Obselete

Quote Originally Posted by finalfugue View Post
    My office uses industrial equipment so we have multiple 480VAC/3-phase drop points. SLI here I come!
    My office has just one 480VAC/3-phase drop and that is more than enough to power 2x Steel Cutting Plasma tables and 4x 45HP electric motors.

What type of toys, uh... equipment do you have over there?
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Well as anybody can tell you, voltage means little without amperage... but we manage to suck a lotta amps too. We're probably going to be out $20K soon in upgrades because we have "only" 250A left on our 480 transformer- or about enough to power three Titan Super Black Mamba Soul Train Editions in SLI.

We make containerized water treatment systems. We shock the water with electricity to add a charge to contaminants, causing them to bind together and settle out/be easily filtered. We manufacture our systems in our facility so we have plasma cutters, welding rigs, tools, cranes, forklifts, pumps, etc. going along with any systems we're testing. Because we design our systems to all run off the same generator or power source, air compressors/pressure washers/heaters and other accessories all use the same voltage. Just don't touch anything, you don't want to be on the receiving end of an arc flash. A 45 HP pump is on the larger side for us, but we sometimes use 80-100 or more if we're moving 1000 gallons per minute+. In short, if we're putting 100A through 1000 GPM on multiple systems in test while welding/cutting/lifting/bolting other systems, we're using ungodly amounts of juice and making a terrible racket.

But I try to squeeze one dual-CPU/GPU workstation into the electronics lab, and a test engineer complains... go figure.

Past Administrator

But I try to squeeze one dual-CPU/GPU workstation into the electronics lab, and a test engineer complains... go figure.
    Me thinks that guy needs to be replaced! As he must be one of DA's lackies not to admire the power that rig represents......

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Fortunately for team SUSA he's generally considered very annoying (unlike me with my dashing charm) and 1. I already had permission for the machine from over his head. and 2. When people heard it bothered him, the only reaction was, "Can you make it louder?"

Past Administrator

Fortunately for team SUSA he's generally considered very annoying (unlike me with my dashing charm) and 1. I already had permission for the machine from over his head. and 2. When people heard it bothered him, the only reaction was, "Can you make it louder?"

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

I hear the sound of cooling "upgrades" in the near future... Streamers on the fans to make the pleasant rattling sound maybe? XD
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

Why are they hyping it's cost effectiveness on the "super computer" scale (the google brain)? It would cost about 5x less to do 40 petaflops with ~30,000 GTX 750ti than it would with a titan black.
    A gtx 750 ti gives you 21.8 gflops/watt @ $150
    a titan black gives you 20.5 gflops/watt @ $1000

Correct me if im wrong but the price will scale faster than the performance, because for $3000 a Titan Z won't triple the performance of a Titan Black. So back to my point, first generation maxwell more cost effective in overhead and sustained power. I understand the logistics of having so many more PCBs of the GTX 750 ti than the Gk110s but when we're on the scale of 1000s PCBs... these units are configured for desktops, why are they marketing this thing as cost effective when it's clearly not compared to their most recent release prior to this?

Past Administrator

Marketing BS...

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Yep it's all marketing BS. Don't forget the Titan Z is also triple slot, even though it appears dual slot at first glance

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

Platinum Member

AMD is smoking crack again. Or maybe they never stopped. I can't even bring myself to post a new thread for this lol

So they just released that R9 295X2 dual Hawaii GPU. $1500. Skip down to the line that reads "Typical Board Power" and suddenly every other spec is meaningless lol

ScreenShot349.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast