Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Titan Black Now Obselete

Platinum Member

Re: Titan Black Now Obselete

I didn't realize you could do that with only 2 x 8-pin connectors. Aren't they only supposed to be able to produce 150W? So that's 150+150+75=375, nowhere near 500W.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-pin-vs-6-pin/

the mobo provides up to 75 watts through the PCIE lanes, a 6 pin PCIE plug is rated up to 75 watts, and an 8 pin PCIE is rated up to 150 watts.

Gold Member

http://www.nag.co.za/2014/04/03/amds...-in-the-flesh/ -
    "As for powering such a beast, that’s the tricky part. Due to the limit of the PCI-SIG standards, graphics cards can only be as long as 312mm before you begin to run into problems with fitment and strain on the main motherboard. Because of this, AMD only had space for two 8-pin PEG power connectors. The solution, then, is to simply overdraw power from the connectors, exceeding the maximum 300W power specification of the PCI-Express standard. Bus this introduces other problems because the 500W power draw will rely on the 75W delivered by the motherboard, which means that this GPU will only be able to run properly in motherboards conforming to the PCI-Express 3.0 standard."

Platinum Member

Holy crap! No way I'd consider getting one of these. (Like I needed any reason other than the $1,500 price tag... :-)) )

I've already burned up a mother board just by using it at stock speeds because the 4-pin CPU Power connecter ended up all charred...

Gold Member

I just love the " simply overdraw power from the connectors" part. Yeah, simple

Artist's rendition of AMD head of product development...

Vesuvius? When even your product codename is that tongue-in-cheek, why? Just why? I call this thing Mt. Desperation. It's obvious to everyone paying attention the graphics companies are having trouble with the next die shrink leap (nVidia was oddly quiet about Maxwell at their conference. A roadmap ain't a silicon wafer buddy). It's OK. We don't hate you for it. Intel invested a small country's defense budget into making the 22nm tri-gate leap, and while that has worked reasonably well, it wasn't necessarily a miracle.

What is bothering me are these stupid, ever-more-absurd halo product releases. I understand why AMD *had* to do this. Some blog called "pwnzringn00bs.com" was going to post a graph of "t3h #1 GPUs for no-scope pwnzringn00bs" with a pure FPS descending order, and AMD had to have something up in the higher echelons. But honestly, how many people are going to buy this for gaming? The same handful of hardcore 1%ers who picked up the other four-figure GPUs I guess. These things take R&D money and manufacturing tooling. Do they actually sell enough of them to recoup those losses? I'd love to see some hard figures on how these actually sell versus their fluff one-upsmanship marketing cost. The technology is NOT going to trickle-down into mid-range popular cards they can then sell by the bushel, obviously. Those cards exist and were immediately sold to coin miners (oops). The Titan Z kiiiiinda makes sense as a "cheap Quadro" for an academics lab, but does anyone see this as a "cheap Firepro"? Maybe? Bueller?

Even if it did, that power draw is absurd. nVidia was conspicuously opaque about the Titan Z's power draw as well. I'm sure both of these cards are pushing (or exceeding) the absolute limits of even fully-compliant PCIe 3.0 mainboards and PSUs. When the tiny traces that deliver power to the PCIe slot on a less-than-perfect mainboard start to melt, are you supposed to just RMA an expensive board with a note, "lol, halo product!" and sit with your system down for weeks? Have fun explaining that to the tech who says the RMA doesn't qualify because you BBQed your equipment.

I went to Newegg. I went to Tigerdirect. A search for both a 295x and Titan Z yielded some TV mounting brackets, Titanfall, and some lamps. I would call these "paper launches" but I don't want to burn down the forums. This game is stupid and they've been playing it for 15 years. Just stop already. The cards that become beloved and legendary are the ones regular mortals can afford and that leverage the best (or a still-awesome, watered-down equivalent) of cutting-edge technology into regular systems. Put these R&D and marketing dollars into *finally* making the next die shrink, and quit pissing around down a dead-end street. Even the inclusion of Asetek (who are awesome) into the R&D process is a SCREAMING signal you're headed in the wrong direction.

Now bow to your volcano god! /rant
    Last edited by finalfugue; 04-08-14 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Accidentally word wrong a

Silver Member

Could you set that to music, please?

Wink Re: Titan Black Now Obselete

Quote Originally Posted by myshortpencil View Post
    Could you set that to music, please?
    Yes.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by finalfugue View Post
    Ha! Excellent choice

For the record, assuming you didn't get a cheapass PSU that uses 18 gauge power wires, you can push up to 300W through each 8-pin connector. Most every connector is overdrawn at some point. However, overdrawing the 75W from the motherboard...i don't feel very safe about that, though i'd be more likely to do it on a Gigabyte board than any other brand.

And yes they are just paper launches. Availability of AMD's dumbassery should be the 21st and the Titan Z somewhere near that as well. Of course this thing will smoke the Titan Z for half the price, though that shouldn't be surprising drawing 500W.

Platinum Member

Only GPU water cooled loops need apply.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by finalfugue View Post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast