Thread: PrimeGrid: FMA3 LLR going live on all LLR projects

Diamond Member

PrimeGrid: FMA3 LLR going live on all LLR projects

Early Sunday, April 20th UTC (Saturday afternoon or evening in the western hemisphere) we are going to install the new FMA3 (aka AVX2) version of LLR on the remaining LLR projects. Especially on Intel Haswell CPUs, but to some extent also on Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge CPUs, this new app is significantly faster. It also consumes more power, and generates more heat. Please make sure your computer is up to running the new app. In general, expect the highest temperatures with shorter projects (PPSE, SGS, and PPS) while longer projects such as SoB and PSP will run slightly less hot. Information and discussion about the new LLR app can be found in this thread.

More...

Diamond Member

Re: PrimeGrid: FMA3 LLR going live on all LLR projects

I love it! Optimized apps straight from the project, as it should be. Credit New discourages this behavior. So good job PG, for not using it.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Sorry to disappoint you but it is not an optimized apps straight from the project. I am using it since March. Check here: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=19167.
    LLR, software from Jean Penné, is based on George Woltman's gwnum library from Prime95. This is the truth.

Carlos

EDIT: The client is from 9th of March 2014. This is my opinion, I think they were very rude to test for one month the client when it was already tested by others at mersenneforum.org and Prime95 project, giving the PrimeGrid users the idea they were the ones who made the new client. I have to say they are very stupid. Only who knows what happens in the backstage understands how ridiculous was this one month testing. They can only foul the foul ones.
    Last edited by pinhodecarlos; 04-19-14 at 09:40 AM.

Diamond Member

I don't understand your point. The improved application will be issued directly from the BOINC project, without requiring the user to use Anonymous Platform (app_info.xml). That is my point. I was not talking about who wrote it. I don't care about that, so long as it improves performance.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne