Thread: BOINC on USB

Gold Member

BOINC on USB

Has anyone had success running BOINC on a USB drive? I'd like to do this with two Windows machines; most of the solutions I found with a web search are Linux based. Has anyone tried BOINC Portable? I'm not particularly concerned with a completely invisible installation, I just want to be able to "pull the plug" if I have to

Diamond Member

Re: BOINC on USB

Nothing very different, I ran BOINC from USB and from DVD, the DVD have a problem if the computer restarts you lose all the work.

sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

and then dont forget to update some of the 32 libraries and that depends on the Linux you are using , so read this http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_on_Linux and you will have the libraries and how to install them at the end of the page.

You can use the software updater to instal BOINC and then the update Boinc to the last version:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:costamagnagianfranco/boinc
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

and then if it is not yet instaled:

sudo apt-get install boinc

Just take attencion to have enough space on USB Drive to run BOINC, I am having trouble with climateprediction.net that needs much space in disk.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Past Administrator

Re: BOINC on USB

Well, you can set up a bootable USB with persistence so no work is lost on a reboot. IIRC both YUMI & Universal USB Installer allow setting up thumb drives with persistence.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6