Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collatz: Phasing out Multi-Size

Diamond Member

Collatz: Phasing out Multi-Size

Due to a variety of server scheduling problems that have not been able to be resolved, Collatz will be phasing out the multi-size workunits over the next week or two and going back to using multiple applications. You will once again control your own destiny and be able to choose the size WUs by the application chosen (micro, mini, standard, and large). The big addition (pun intended) that will be the first to be deployed is the large_collatz application which will be 32 times the size of the largest multi-size workunit. It is aimed at the fastest GPUs to reduce the upload/download and workunit startup overhead of running smaller workunits. That should result in a higher RAC as well as a reduced load on the Collatz server.

More...

Re: Collatz: Phasing out Multi-Size

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    The big addition (pun intended) that will be the first to be deployed is the large_collatz application which will be 32 times the size of the largest multi-size workunit. It is aimed at the fastest GPUs to reduce the upload/download and workunit startup overhead of running smaller workunits. That should result in a higher RAC as well as a reduced load on the Collatz server.
    Sweeeeeeeet. What was EmSti saying about 295Xs now being in stock?

Gold Member

The project is transitioning now... one of my machines detached itself from the project, another is still crunching Solo but not getting any new work. Need to check Collatz account settings and keep an eye on these rigs to make sure they don't dry up.

In order to receive a Large unit, select "Test Applications" in account settings. I just got one for my 7790... we shall see how it goes!

Thanks for the heads up. Things are a little too hectic at work today to ensure a smooth changeover, but I just looked and under Collatz preferences you now have the option to select which application(s) you want to run. I have anything ATI Pitcairn and better set to solo and large, and lesser stuff on mini, micro, and solo. Just trying to keep it chugging. I'll check later to see how the numbers are shaping up.

Administrator

During the transition it might be a good idea to click the checkbox to accept work from other applications.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    The project is transitioning now... one of my machines detached itself from the project, another is still crunching Solo but not getting any new work. Need to check Collatz account settings and keep an eye on these rigs to make sure they don't dry up.

In order to receive a Large unit, select "Test Applications" in account settings. I just got one for my 7790... we shall see how it goes!

Test applications is not needed. I change my to solo and large only for the gpu and solo only for cpu. I started getting large on cuda and amd a short while later. Remember to edit the new config file that gets downloaded to match what you had in the solo config file.

Anyone know if a wingman will be needed on any of them?

Administrator

No Wingmen required on the large WU

Administrator

Hmmm, my first 2 large wus on my dual 7970 system estimates completion time @ 1550 hours.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    Hmmm, my first 2 large wus on my dual 7970 system estimates completion time @ 1550 hours.
    The estimates are wrong. So far I am averaging 4.9 hours on the 7970, I have one cpu thread thread dedicated to each of the 7970 tasks. About 239,600 avg per large wu.

Administrator

LI'm 7 hours in and 20% done. Gpu load is 50% on one and 80% on the other 7970. The .config file is set. 2 cores are free.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast