<name>large_collatz</name>
    <max_concurrent>1</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>1.0</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>
    Isn't that just the default setting for the project without an app_config file?

Diamond Member

Re: Collatz: Phasing out Multi-Size

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    I hope the credits will reflect the long time needed to crunch this.
    Never fear. Slicter always makes sure we get paid. Remember that april fools news post from collatz?

Edit: Slicker. Stupid autocorrect.
    Last edited by zombie67; 04-26-14 at 10:41 AM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Z-TAC View Post
    Isn't that just the default setting for the project without an app_config file?
    Not exactly. It is close. The default is to run 0.903 of a cpu thread...or at least that what it was showing me on my tasks that were running without any changes. I tend to try and micro-manage my tasks to do things exactly how I want it. If one can find some slight variance to improve their performance, I say go with it! I often will extend the number of threads far more than the default if I can get a better return. (I've actually run some gpu tasks using all 8 cpu threads on some projects including Collatz.) But if it wants to read as default instead of what I want it to use, it's pretty much useless to have.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Never fear. Slicter always makes sure we get paid. Remember that april fools news post from collatz?
    Oh, I remember! And every time it popped up after April 1st, I was reminded. On April 1st I wasn't signed up for the project yet. After that scenario, I had to wonder if the message about phasing out multi-size tasks was a joke or not. Until I saw my first large task, I didn't know if it was for real.

Past Administrator

Well I'm trying a Large wu on my GTX 570 atm. BOINC currently says 86+ days but we all know that is just BOINC freaking out. My calcs estimate 11+ hours. And yes, I set up the Large config before starting the wu.

Anyone getting better times on their 570s?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Mine were finished in 12.2 hours.

It certainly seems to be a big boy playpen, that's for sure. My 280Xs are wrapping up about like EmSti's 7970s (unsurprisingly), but the 7870 is sucking wind. Over 8, nearly 9 hours to complete a big one for about 221K. I think I'll take that back to solo after completing one-two more for comparison's sake, but I'm not used to CC taking anything Pitcairn or better out behind the woodshed. I know what I was on track to hit total credit wise, and if I don't see it in the next couple days- oh well, just have to adjust. It's still a useful tool for those 4 people who bought the 295X.

Administrator

As a footnote, the GTX 780 takes a little over 7 hours to finish one. I did 2 and moved back to Solo.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    The project is transitioning now... one of my machines detached itself from the project, another is still crunching Solo but not getting any new work. Need to check Collatz account settings and keep an eye on these rigs to make sure they don't dry up.

In order to receive a Large unit, select "Test Applications" in account settings. I just got one for my 7790... we shall see how it goes!
    Test Applications is no longer required.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    OMG! I just got the first GPU task of the new tasks. Since I'm currently only running GPU tasks for Collatz, I have no idea what the cpu tasks look like. According to Boinc, this one ATI GPU task is going to take me 32 hours to do. YIKES!!! I hope the credits will reflect the long time needed to crunch this. I'm hoping the estimate is a mistake. If it is even remotely close, I can tell Collatz will be put totally away until I can get around to crunching it again with my cpu's. It's just too scarey for us little crunchers now. I'll probably move back to seti@home until I find another good gpu project to crunch on.
    Unfortunately, Dr. Anderson has ignore all requests to improve the estimated time remaining logic and as such, they SUCK!!!!!! Finish several WUs and it will start working better.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast