Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI OpenCL apps to intel hd graphics?

Silver Member

ATI OpenCL apps to intel hd graphics?

I thought I crossed a thread a while back about someone running an ati app on their intel igpu hd 4000. I've had no luck tracking it down again, but I felt like it was done via app_config or one of the other .xml files. I figured this was plausible as there are projects with ati openCL 1.2 support but none for intel graphics. Can something be done on our end to trick or port,translate to run on intel opencl 1.2 capable gpus?

Diamond Member

Re: ATI OpenCL apps to intel hd graphics?

"Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Primegrid was the project I was really hoping/thinking was possible. So please pardon my inexperience I created an app_info.xml in /projects/www.primegrid.com with the following pasted in:

<app_info>
    <app>
    <name>pps_sr2sieve</name>
    </app>
    <file_info>
    <name>primegrid_tpsieve_1.39_windows_intelx86__ati PPSsieve.exe</name>
    <executable/>
    </file_info>
    <app_version>
    <app_name>pps_sr2sieve</app_name>
    <version_num>139</version_num>
    <platform>windows_intelx86</platform>
    <avg_ncpus>1.00</avg_ncpus>
    <max_ncpus>1.00</max_ncpus>
    <plan_class>opencl_intel_100</plan_class>
    <cmdline></cmdline>
    <coproc>
    <type>intel_gpu</type>
    <count>1</count>
    </coproc>
    <file_ref>
    <file_name>primegrid_tpsieve_1.39_windows_intelx86 __atiPPSsieve.exe</file_name>
    <main_program/>
    </file_ref>
    </app_version>
    <app_version>
    <app_name>pps_sr2sieve</app_name>
    <version_num>139</version_num>
    <platform>windows_intelx86</platform>
    <file_ref>
    <file_name>primegrid_tpsieve_1.39_windows_intelx86 __atiPPSsieve.exe</file_name>
    <main_program/>
    </file_ref>
    </app_version>
    </app_info>

I didn't edit anything in it, i then restarted BOINC and the event log shows this:

4/25/2014 2:08:18 PM | PrimeGrid | Found app_info.xml; using anonymous platform
    4/25/2014 2:08:18 PM | PrimeGrid | File referenced in app_info.xml does not exist: primegrid_tpsieve_1.39_windows_intelx86__atiPPSsie ve.exe
    4/25/2014 2:08:18 PM | PrimeGrid | [error] State file error: missing application file primegrid_tpsieve_1.39_windows_intelx86__atiPPSsie ve.exe
    4/25/2014 2:08:18 PM | PrimeGrid | [error] State file error: missing application file primegrid_tpsieve_1.39_windows_intelx86__atiPPSsie ve.exe
    4/25/2014 2:08:18 PM | PrimeGrid | [error] No application found for task: windows_intelx86 139 cudaPPSsieve; discarding
    4/25/2014 2:08:18 PM | PrimeGrid | [error] No application found for task: windows_intelx86 139 cudaPPSsieve; discarding
    4/25/2014 2:08:18 PM | PrimeGrid | [error] State file error: result pps_sr2sieve_73212203_1 not found for task

currently the files in the primegrid folder:
    app_info.xml
    primegrid_slideshow_00.png
    slideshow_gcwsieve_00
    slideshow_llrCUL_00
    slideshow_llrTPS_00
    slideshow_llrWOO_00
    slideshow_primegen_00
    slideshow_psp_sr2sieve_00
    stat_icon
    stat_primegrid.png
    TRP_20131229.sieveinput
    TRP_20131010.sieveinput
    primegrid_tpsieve_1.39_windows_intelx86__atiPPSsie ve.exe <-manually downloaded

any input would be helpful at this point

Edit:I have ati/opencl apps selected in primegrid preferences along with cuda.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 04-25-14 at 06:17 PM.

Silver Member

Okay so i found the app executable here and had to restart boinc a couple times and the event log error went away...waiting for work i guess. I also used your poem setup...again waiting for work.

Diamond Member

Ah, PG. Yes, I built one a while back. See here:

http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=5136

Silver Member

So in theory with an appropriately configured app_info.xml my boinc client will try to get work for the ATI versions and run them on my hd 4000. What i did in the mean time cause I wasn't sure how things worked and to remedy those errors in boinc event log is i found http://boinc.com.ua/projects/ to download the apps, which i hope are the legit apps. now that I have the primegrid app (primegrid_tpsieve_1.39_windows_intelx86__atiPPSsi eve.exe) and poemcl_1.5_windows_intelx86__opencl_ati_100 (i hope this is what i need)... this just all sounds too easy.

Silver Member

Getting an error from Poem "your app_info.xml file doesn't have a usable version of POEM++"

here is my current poem app_info.xml
    <app_info>
    <app>
    <name>poemcl</name>
    <user_friendly_name>POEM++ OpenCL version</user_friendly_name>
    </app>
    <file_info>
    <name>poemcl_1.5_windows_intelx86__opencl_ati_10 0</name>
    <executable/>
    </file_info>
    <app_version>
    <app_name>poemcl</app_name>
    <version_num>105</version_num>
    <avg_ncpus>1</avg_ncpus>
    <max_ncpus>1</max_ncpus>
    <plan_class>opencl_intel_100</plan_class>
    <file_ref>
    <file_name>poemcl_1.5_windows_intelx86__opencl_ati _100</file_name>
    <main_program/>
    </file_ref>
    <coproc>
    <type>intel_gpu</type>
    <count>.5</count>
    </coproc>
    </app_version>
    <app_version>
    <app_name>poemcl</app_name>
    <version_num>105</version_num>
    <file_ref>
    <file_name>poemcl_1.5_windows_intelx86__opencl_ati _100</file_name>
    <main_program/>
    </file_ref>
    </app_version>
    </app_info>

do i have to manually download the exe? or is that the wrong version?

Diamond Member

There is no POEM GPU work right now anyway. See here: http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/server_status.php

And yes, if you are going to use an app_info.xml, you will need to manually download all the files needed to run the tasks.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    There is no POEM GPU work right now anyway. See here: http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/server_status.php

And yes, if you are going to use an app_info.xml, you will need to manually download all the files needed to run the tasks.
    Thank you zombie for pointing that out. I saw this post and had no answers for MindCrime due to not knowing the project. I went ahead and signed up and got some tasks. Nothing that I downloaded remotely matched the info on his post, much less anyone's post of app_info files from other sites. I did see on one post where they were calling the app_info file old and how people using Boinc 7.0.40 and newer would be better off replacing it with an app_config file. I did notice a difference in the app_config file from the tasks I had and wondered if "poemcl" was a reflection of gpu tasks since the cpu task seem to be "poempp". In other words, for now at least the app_info file can be tucked away for another day. (I am now one more project richer than I was yesterday)

Silver Member

Where do I manually download the applications? the link i mentioned earlier doesn't seem to have the poem app i want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast