Thread: What does "No Close tag in scheduler reply" mean?

Past Administrator

What does "No Close tag in scheduler reply" mean?

I get this when trying to upload my last Docking WUs on one rig: 4/29/2014 6:37:05 PM | Docking | [error] No close tag in scheduler reply
    Anyone know what this means?

Not the end of the world if I just have to detach from the project, but if there's a better way...
    Thanks!

Past Administrator

Re: What does "No Close tag in scheduler reply" mean?

Detaching is the only solution that I am aware of.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

The issue is that rather than using an existing XML library, the BOINC developers decided to reinvent the wheel and create their own. The problem is that they didn't bother reading the specs so it doesn't follow HTML 1.0 specifications. The result is that their parser can't read any XML, just their own version. It also means that they write their XML as ASCII text files rather than using an XML writer library which would ensure that for every tag, there is a closing tag that matches.

What is a closing tag? If you look at the HTML which is a bastardized subset of XML, you will see <body> and </body> in the document. The latter is the closing tag. XML allows tags like <body/> when the body tag has no content. (That's a bad example because it would be a blank web page.) Anyway, the issue is that because the XML is written as if it were a text file, it is easy to get a typo. <body> </bofy> would cause an error because bofy isn't body so there is no closing tag.

Since you are getting the error on the schedule reply, the issue is likely on the server. That or the parser on the client isn't working properly. See if you can open the schedule reply XML file (in the boinc data directory) with IE. It will report whether the file is valid. If not, post the error on the docking message board and hope the admin will fix it.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Thank you Slicker! That is a good detailed analysis. Zombie found a way to over-ride the error by limiting the number of completed tasks that are reporting to the project at once. I do appreciate the insight into how it works from you, though.

Diamond Member

The point: BOINC developers are using a non-standard xml. Ass hats!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne