Gold Member

my budget crunching pc build

after pricing some stuff up this is what i went with

brand new amd fx 8320 135$'s
    the mobo was supposed to be a asrock 880gmh
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GMHU3S3/?cat=CPU
    but i accidently ordered an asrock 880gm 42$'s
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GM-LE%20FX/?cat=CPU

the 8320 isnt officially supported by this board but apprently it works with this board ill know for sure when it arrives on tuesday
    in the event it doesnt work im going to buy an http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/980DE3U3S3/ for 62$'s or i may spend a lil more and go for a mobo with multiple pcie x16 slots

corsair liquid cpu cooler new ebay 39$'s
    antec 750w psu 109$'s

the rest of the parts were basically free since i had them laying around
    i.e atx case, drives, burners etc and already have 6gb of ram

the plan is to fill the pci slots with 2 zotac gt430 i already have and stick a ati hd 7790 in the pcie slot , i still need to purchase an hd 7790
    the mobo i ordered also has hd4250 onboard so i may be able to get that crunching as well
    the fx8320 will be pushed to just over 4.0ghz

should be a nice upgrade over my amd a8-3800 pc or my other p4 2.8ghz machines

if i end up not using the first mobo i ordered i will prolly buy an fx 8120 and build a second cruncher out of it

if u guys have any suggestions on different mobo's incase the first one comes in and my cpu wont work with it or videocards im all ears ,
    the reason i chose those asrock boards are because they had ide controllers which cut back on my cost for optical drives

Past Administrator

Re: my budget crunching pc build

Don't forget to post some pics of the finished build.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Ouch. You could have had an eVGA 750W PS for less, with a 10 year warranty and 80Plus Gold certified.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Don't forget to post some pics of the finished build.
    will do guys just better not laugh at the case im using , its olddddd put it this way i just stripped the athlon 2 slot cpu and mobo out of it, i need to get the holesaw out and cut some holes for a side and top case fan in it

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Ouch. You could have had an eVGA 750W PS for less, with a 10 year warranty and 80Plus Gold certified.
    link? if i dont use the first mobo i ordered ill have to order another psu cause i will use that board and build a second machine with an fx8120

Platinum Member

FourOh first brought it up here in this thread:

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...scussion/page2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438017

And there was a $25 rebate on it until today... But still about your same price without it, and up until this Rebate started, it had a $20 rebate before that. So it'll probably come up on rebate again by the time you know you want it. Just keep an eye on it. EVGA is a good brand for GPU's, so I'll guess having a 10 year warranty implies they have faith in their PS line as well.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    FourOh first brought it up here in this thread:

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...scussion/page2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438017

And there was a $25 rebate on it until today... But still about your same price without it, and up until this Rebate started, it had a $20 rebate before that. So it'll probably come up on rebate again by the time you know you want it. Just keep an eye on it. EVGA is a good brand for GPU's, so I'll guess having a 10 year warranty implies they have faith in their PS line as well.
    thanks ill keep that in mind if i end up building a second machine

Platinum Member

Not sure if it'll work for anyone else, but I've received a "Special Unlock Code" for for an extra $10 off on this PS...
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEgg
    EVGA
    750W EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply
    Intel 4th Gen CPU Compatible 10 Year Warranty
    $129.99 Your Price: $109.99
    With Promo Code EXLEMC2352
    $79.99 After $30.00 MIR
    Both the $30 MIR and the $10 Off code are good for the rest of the day.

Gold Member

well i have it halfway together , since im still waiting on some parts to arrive.
    but damn this thing flies compared to what i had , unfortunatly i couldnt find my windows 7 ultimate 64bit dvd so i threw 32 bit xp on it for right now, ill have to get that fixed asap,
    also need to figure out why the ati wu's on collatz are erroring and failing after a few seconds

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    well i have it halfway together , since im still waiting on some parts to arrive.
    but damn this thing flies compared to what i had , unfortunatly i couldnt find my windows 7 ultimate 64bit dvd so i threw 32 bit xp on it for right now, ill have to get that fixed asap,
    also need to figure out why the ati wu's on collatz are erroring and failing after a few seconds
    So, you have your license key but not the install disk? If so, I can help. I can upload an ISO image of Win7 Ult x64 to Copy[dot]com and PM the link to you. It will probably take some time for you to DL the image. If your interested let me know.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    So, you have your license key but not the install disk? If so, I can help. I can upload an ISO image of Win7 Ult x64 to Copy[dot]com and PM the link to you. It will probably take some time for you to DL the image. If your interested let me know.
    thanks, but i know my dvd is here somewere prolly take me less time to find it then having u upload it them me downloading it. if i happen to not find it ill let u know though

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast