Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my budget crunching pc build

Platinum Member

Re: my budget crunching pc build

Microsoft has gotten a bit freer about those DVD images. Last I looked, Microsoft hosts their own image downloads. About 2 months ago I grabbed Win7 Pro from them directly at least. Simple Google search should steer you to it if needed.

Gold Member

i found my dvd , now the task of making sure i get all the updates and installing everything i need

Gold Member

well my water cooler needs to get here , stock amd fan and heatsink arent worth a dam , runing 5 cores at 100% and im at 58*c aparently max safe temp is 62* for the fx 8320

Gold Member

something has to be wrong , ive got all 8 cores running now at a stable 54*c , but in order to do it i had to drop the cpu to 3.1ghz and drop voltage slightly
    im about to pull the coller off my a8 cpu and see if it will fit and if it makes a difference

Gold Member

well thats odd , i reset a few things and now its running cool as can be, i ended up turning up the freq and things are running a good bit cooler now, go figure

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    well thats odd , i reset a few things and now its running cool as can be, i ended up turning up the freq and things are running a good bit cooler now, go figure
    Just something to note. It is possible that the pre-applied thermal paste needed to settle a bit. Also, most companies that make coolers for CPUs and GPUs with pre-applied TIM, tend to apply too much of the stuff. Because of this, and because many of the pre-applied TIMs are of inferior quality, I always remove it, clean the cold plate with 90% isopropyl alcohol and apply my favorite Arctic Silver 5 TIM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Just something to note. It is possible that the pre-applied thermal paste needed to settle a bit. Also, most companies that make coolers for CPUs and GPUs with pre-applied TIM, tend to apply too much of the stuff. Because of this, and because many of the pre-applied TIMs are of inferior quality, I always remove it, clean the cold plate with 90% isopropyl alcohol and apply my favorite Arctic Silver 5 TIM.
    never thought of that but makes sence, i have a tube of artic silver on the way with the water cooler

Gold Member

im getting rid of this mobo asap. i finally got everything dialed in at 4.4 ghz and 4.8 ghz turbo and decide to listen to music , friggen cant get any sound ive tried every setting and every audio jack
    im just going to buy the mobo i shoudl have bought the first time around ( GA-990FXA-UD7 rev 3)
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4658#ov

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    im getting rid of this mobo asap. i finally got everything dialed in at 4.4 ghz and 4.8 ghz turbo and decide to listen to music , friggen cant get any sound ive tried every setting and every audio jack
    im just going to buy the mobo i shoudl have bought the first time around ( GA-990FXA-UD7 rev 3)
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4658#ov
    B4 you do that...
    *Did you enable the audio chip in BIOS -->> BIOS Menu > Advanced <<--? Looking at the user manual - page 46 for that MB, it looks like HDMI Audio is disabled by default.
    Onboard HDMI HD Audio [Disabled]
    *Have you updated the audio device driver(s)?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    B4 you do that...
    *Did you enable the audio chip in BIOS -->> BIOS Menu > Advanced <<--? Looking at the user manual - page 46 for that MB, it looks like HDMI Audio is disabled by default.

*Have you updated the audio device driver(s)?
    yes i did , ive tried even disabling the front jack since i dont have one , the volume control says there is music playing via the green level indicator in windows 7 but no matter what jack i plug into i get no sound.
    windows/realtek even pop up a notice when i change jacks , and windows media player will stop playing the song if unplug all the jacks

even downloaded the driver from asrocks site and tried that, windows update also says its the most current driver

the gigabyte board is nice tons of room for gpu power , just wish it had more then a single pci slot , and as a bonus it also supports the amd fx9xxx if i ever decide to upgrade when the price comes down on those, if i get that board i can no longer call this a budget build though

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast