Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my budget crunching pc build

Past Administrator

Re: my budget crunching pc build

Hmmm, I'm at a loss as to the problem. Sorry.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Hmmm, I'm at a loss as to the problem. Sorry.
    my boss wants the board i currently have so ill give it to him and stick an fx6300 or fx8120 in it.
    so now im currently looking for a new mobo , if i give up wanting 6 pcie slots , i can get a board with 4pciex16 2 pci and 2pcie x1's for about half the cost

im deffinatly open to suggestions for mobos at this point , deffinatly want one of the better boards for stable ocing though , id be thrilled if i could get something that would be stable at 5.2-5.4ghz

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    id be thrilled if i could get something that would be stable at 5.2-5.4ghz
    Wouldn't we all!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    Wouldn't we all!
    i got close with this one 4.8ghz is stable 4.9-5.0ghz starts to crash after a few hours i need to bump the voltage more but cant on this board without risk of frying it , supposedly the 990fx boards will go pretty dang far and stay stable

funyn thing is my a8 machine is easier to oc , its stock speed is 2.7ghz and its been stable as a rock at 3.6ghz clock with a 4ghz boost @ stock voltage

bottom 2
    http://valid.canardpc.com/search/sea...6373&sort=freq

Gold Member

im looking for a decent but cheap full atx case that i can use with watercooling , any suggestions

thats the reason i aint posted pics yet btw the case im currently using is like mid 90's and ugly

Past Administrator

For Full Tower ATX

Rosewill THOR V2 - $129.99 (Before $20 MIR)

Fractal Design Arc XL - $129.99

SILVERSTONE RAVEN Series RV03B-WA - $129.99

Rosewill RISE - $99.99
    Note: I actually know hardly anything about this case. But, it looks like it has potential.

Some Good Mid Towers (Sorry about all the Corsairs...)

Rosewill BLACKHAWK - $89.99 (Extra $20 Off w/Promo Code EMCPCPB59, ends 7/14)

Corsair Carbide Series 500R - $129.99 (Before $10.00 MIR)

Corsair Carbide Series 400R - $89.99 (Before $10.00 MIR)

Corsair Graphite Series 600T - $139.99 (Before $10.00 MIR)

Corsair Obsidian Series 450D - $119.99

Just remember to shop around for the best prices. Just used Newegg for reference.

Edit:

Forgot about this one. It is not your usual case. (It's another Corsair... ) ---> Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 - $129.99 (Before $10.00 MIR)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

haha thanks i was hoping for something mor ein the 60-70$ range that was decent , im really liking that cube case on the bottom though

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    haha thanks i was hoping for something mor ein the 60-70$ range that was decent , im really liking that cube case on the bottom though
    You might find something worthy in that price range but...

I have found that under a certain price point, for full tower cases, lots of little corners get skipped by manufactures. Things like properly deburring the cut/stampted edges of sheet metal, which will lead to very nasty cuts on hands and arms. Not healthy either. Other things include incomplete or total lack of small hardware, misaligned screw holes, shoddy paint, etc...

Your $60~$70 mark is almost in the ballpark.

There still may be hope. Stores like Microcenter (if you have one near you) will once in a while low ball the price on their "Open Box Display Units" due to missing parts, scratches, dings, etc. Of course you have to visit them at the right time which is almost never announced. Anyhoot, this may be a way to find a good deal on a full tower case.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    You might find something worthy in that price range but...

I have found that under a certain price point, for full tower cases, lots of little corners get skipped by manufactures. Things like properly deburring the cut/stampted edges of sheet metal, which will lead to very nasty cuts on hands and arms. Not healthy either. Other things include incomplete or total lack of small hardware, misaligned screw holes, shoddy paint, etc...

Your $60~$70 mark is almost in the ballpark.

There still may be hope. Stores like Microcenter (if you have one near you) will once in a while low ball the price on their "Open Box Display Units" due to missing parts, scratches, dings, etc. Of course you have to visit them at the right time which is almost never announced. Anyhoot, this may be a way to find a good deal on a full tower case.
    i really like this case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-022-_-Product

i think im going to hold off until i can get it , my current case is working fine for now , i think im going to lap the fx8320 and see if i can get it to run slightly cooler , did a few practice runs on some t6400 core duos since its been a while ( ill post up some pics later) im going to delid one of the core duos and compare it to one that is lapped only and see how much difference there is .

Past Administrator

Dave, you might want to reconsider delidding any Intel CPU prior to Ivy Bridge. Before Ivy, all Intel CPUs had their IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) soldered to to cores. Trying to delid such a CPU will result in destroying the cores.

As to the Air 540, It's a very interesting case. Enjoy.

Edit: Here is a video review from TastyPC. Man, I love her..... accent

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast