Thread: cc_config: ncpus

Platinum Member

cc_config: ncpus

Does the <ncpus> function in the cc_config file still work? Since the BU ASIC wus are meant to be nci, could I set ncpus = cores + BU wus? For example, a 6 core machine running 3 ASIC wus would have ncpus = 9.

I'm thinking this might allow me to run cpu projects on the 6 cores as well as getting the BU wus to run. Would this work? If so, would I also have to use proLasso too force certain projects onto certain cores?

Silver Member

Re: cc_config: ncpus

I'm too tired to think about the whole question, but if you have 3 ASIC devices on 1 computer, they function as 1, at least within 1 instance of Boinc Manager. Even though you may see 3 WUs running at a time, only 1 WU is accessing the devices at a time. My understanding is they don't multiplex, but 1 runs and completes, then the next one moves in and uses all ASIC devices.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myshortpencil View Post
    I'm too tired to think about the whole question, but if you have 3 ASIC devices on 1 computer, they function as 1, at least within 1 instance of Boinc Manager. Even though you may see 3 WUs running at a time, only 1 WU is accessing the devices at a time. My understanding is they don't multiplex, but 1 runs and completes, then the next one moves in and uses all ASIC devices.
    That may be true, but the issue I'm having is that I'm seeing 3 ASIC wus "running" at once, and they are taking up 3 of the processor cores, even though they aren't really using the processor. I want to get around that.

Platinum Member

In case anyone was curious, this actually did work. Got the cpu back running under a full load, crunching 3 BU Wus along with it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Does the <ncpus> function in the cc_config file still work?
    Yes sir it still works