Thread: NFS Appliication Translation

Platinum Member

NFS Appliication Translation

I just want to make sure I understand the apps correctly:

14e Lattice Sieve = lasieved - app for RSALS subproject, uses less than 0.5 GB memory
    15e Lattice Sieve = lasievee - work nearly always available, uses up to 0.5 GB memory
    16e Lattice Sieve = lasievef - used for huge factorizations, uses up to 1 GB memory
    16e Lattice Sieve V5 = lasieve5f - used for huge factorizations, uses up to 1 GB memory

Is that right?

Platinum Member

Re: NFS Appliication Translation

16e can get up to 1.5GB sometimes. During the challenge i ran 8 at a time on a 16GB machine and get some memory warning pop-ups from Windows telling me i was almost out of RAM and the world was gonna end if i didn't do something about it quickly.

It's kinda like Lattice. Sometimes they can get up to 9GB per WU, but not usually.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    16e can get up to 1.5GB sometimes.
    I'm not too worried about the memory issue. The machine I'm running it on has 16GB for 4 threads, so I should be pretty safe.

Diamond Member

Yeah, I have been trying to get them to clean up the nomenclature for a while now. Nothing but silence so far.

http://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/...64&postid=1274

Good thing it is only four choices. The way BU is going, it's becoming impossible even for those with motivation and paying close attention.

"Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Yeah, I saw your thread there, z, and was sad not to see a response. And I think I've given up on BU for WuProp purposes - when they're changing the entire structure there every two days, it makes any progress nigh impossible to track.

EDIT: I added my thoughts to that thread, hoping a second voice has any effect...

Administrator

BTW V5 ... 5F is Linux only.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    BTW V5 ... 5F is Linux only.
    Well THAT's good to know. Glad that's stated so prominently on their site...

Administrator

If you are after badges or WuProp hours you obviously have to run them all. If you are after credits then ONLY run the 16e - pays FAR better than anything else.

Gold Member

There's no clean up to be done on the nomenclature. The issue is about what math can be done for each application.
    In this terms,

lasieved is 14e Lattice Sieve with 14e credit badge
    lasievee is 15e Lattice Sieve with 15e credit badge
    lasievef is 16e Lattice Sieve with 16e credit badge
    lasieve5f is 16e Lattice Sieve V5 with 16e credit badge

The only difference is that 16e Lattice Sieve V5 can only be run under linux with different parameters than 16e Lattice Sieve (windows and linux based) although they sieve the same integer. lasievef is limited to q=1000M rather than lasieve5f that is limited to sieve special q's up to 2000M or more, I don't know for sure the upper boundary. So it is a space region limitation but the group is the same, if I can say this mathematically, the integer sieved is the same. So with 16e siever (both no V5 and V5) you guys sieve the same number but in different regions.

Was I clear? Imagine you break in two timelines the way you attack a problem and this is what happens in this math case.

Also if you see in badge way (points way) the V5 users would gain rapidly more points and badges if it was lonely awarded.

Carlos
    Last edited by pinhodecarlos; 07-08-14 at 03:47 PM.

Gold Member

One change. The V5 application can now be run on the windows platform but the limitations of the sieve space are kept.