Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why did DrPop's rig catch on FIRE?

Past Administrator

Why did DrPop's rig catch on FIRE?

EDIT: After some googling I came up with the problem. MSI has a 4 phase power design on this board, apparently, and it is the mosfets that caught on fire. I guess better boards have heat-sinks there, and this had none.
    So...you think this is covered under warranty by any stretch of the imagination, or am I just going to have to eat it?

Up until this point I've been crunching with an AMD quad core with no problems at all. In the HAF932, there's definitely enough airflow, too.
    The motherboard is an MSI 870A-G54.
    Newegg link here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...5&Tpk=870A-G54

MSI link here: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870A-G...div=CPUSupport

I purchased the X6 1090T this morning at Frys. Pulled out the quad and had the X6 running in minutes! Had it crunching maybe 45 Min. on PG, and everything appeared to be alright. Glad I stuck around to keep an eye on it, though, because it just caught on fire! Didn't even get a chance to do an O/C or anything yet.
    Newegg link for CPU here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103849

AMD link here: http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...omparison.aspx

Good thing the HAF-932 case is pretty much see through. I heard a little noise, and turned my head to see a flame about the size you would expect from a Bic lighter, coming from over by the CPU. Of course, at that point, it shut itself off as I was scrambling to unplug it and all that.

Looking at it in the light, it is obvious that the little black squares in between the chokes and the capacitors are what caught on fire. Two of them are split wide open.
    EDIT: I now know these are called Mosfets, and you can mouse over the picture on the MSI link and see the little black squares in between the chokes and the caps that caught fire.

According to their website, this board should be well within spec to run an AMD X6. Claims it even goes to 140W CPU capability, and this CPU is 125W.

Very much spontaneous, no warning at all. What's crazy is that the load on the entire computer was less today than before, because I pulled the 5850 out earlier last night, and only had ONE GPU - the 5870 running in the box with the 1090T.
    PSU is a fairly good one - ANTEC 650W Earthwatts. Link here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371015

And HSF works well enough, it's not like CPU was that hot. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-056-_-Product

Wonder if there is any kind of warranty on the mobo for stuff like this? Anything I'm missing anything else here, or do you think this should have worked just fine from the specs given on their website and at Newegg?
    Last edited by DrPop; 02-03-11 at 04:52 PM. Reason: More info - Mosfets

Past Admin

Re: Why did DrPop's rig catch on FIRE?

Sorry about the problem Pop.
    I'll scratch MSI MB off my short list of MB's for my new builds. I was looking at the same board your using based on your post to F$. I'll look at the Asus board unless someone here has another idea for an am3 md for a AMD x4 chip?

Administrator

Oh man... sorry to hear about the problem DrPop.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Sorry about the problem Pop.
    I'll scratch MSI MB off my short list of MB's for my new builds. I was looking at the same board your using based on your post to F$. I'll look at the Asus board unless someone here has another idea for an am3 md for a AMD x4 chip?
    I'm running a MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 motherboard with the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Thuban 3.3GHz CPU with no problems.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Silver Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130297

im running this with a 1090T Six core AMD at 3.2ghz. Also running dual 570's.

This board has Fuzion technology which allows you to mix and match ATI/Nvidia cards and get performance from both of them.

Sucks about your board blowing. Freaking lame! We need a new market for those who push their rigs hard all the time haha I went with the board above for the well beefy components and the fuzion tech. havnt been dissapointed yet.

I would expect that you should be covered by the warranty, it is less than a year old right? I would open up a support ticket right away. For me, I personally build all my rigs with ASUS MBs I have not yet had one catch fire.

Gold Member

Wow! That is just wrong.

Past Administrator

Wink Re: Why did DrPop's rig catch on FIRE?

Thanks for the sympathy and letting me whine a little, guys. It's just pretty lame to have saved up a small fortune (to me at least) for the X6 and then have it down the mobo like that.

To anyone like Mike doing a build - check out the pictures of those MSI mobos that Dorsilfin and STM have - they have huge heatsinks over the MOSFETS - I did not even realize how important this is on a "high end" rig, until now.
    So, it's not like we can make a blanket statement, "MSI mobos are bad"...they're actually fairly good, I think. It's just that mine had no heatsinks over the MOSFETS.

So...I've been racking my brain, trying to figure out what happened. I think this is it:
    I had the quad O/Ced pretty high, and that running 24/7 for days. Can't even think when the last time I shut it off was. Without me realizing it, those MOSFETS must have been right at their limit - "piping hot, if you will", just with the O/Ced quad.
    Then, I shut the rig off for literally just a few minutes, I must have been like a NASCAR pit crew, but for computers, it was 10:03 AM when I got back from FRY's, and I wanted that thing ON like yesterday.

So, bottom line, the mobo didn't get a chance to cool down at all, and then when I threw the X6 in there, it must have just pushed it over the edge.
    How's that for a synopsis? If I'm sitting on the side-lines now, I can at least come up with some good conspiracy theories, can't I?

OK, I feel a little better about it all, there seems to be a logical explanation, especially when I look at the giant heatsinks on your boards - with any luck I could get a new mobo under warranty...then sell it on Ebay, and add a little $ to it and get one of the more "beefy" models.
    Thanks to all again. I'll call MSI and see what they say.
    Pops

Past Administrator

Holy Toledo!
    Man that totally bites like nobodies business.

OK, those MOSFETS (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) are high speed switching devices but can be used in various non-switching modes. Based on where the MOSFETs are installed I think they are being used as voltage controllers and frequency generators/amplifiers for the CPU.

I did a quick search on the net and most of what I saw were only "concerns" about a potential overheating problem. Although One post spoke of MOSFETs going "boom" in reference to an older model MSI board.

So some possibilities for MOSFETs burning
    1) Defective MOSFETs/MB components.
    2) Incorrect or corrupted settings in BIOS.
    3) AM3 CPU socket shorting out.
    4) PSU voltage spike
    5) Defective CPU

Based on the fact you have had that board for some time and working it almost nonstop makes failing slightly less likely relative to the other possibilities. Since the 1090T was newly installed, my red flags are #3 and #5.

I would recommend examining the CPU socket with a Mini-Maglite and a magnifying glass. Look for signs of arcing between pins, metal or conductive fragments, and signs of TIM seepage in or around the socket. Then examine the CPU itself in the same way.

The MB should be covered. I would defiantly return the CPU to Fry's for testing. If it runs for them then its still good but I would still demand a new replacement.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Wow, you're right, I never even considered there could be a short with one of the pins on the CPU or something a little bit off like that. I immediately went to the mobo as the cause - but I agree, I will look into having them test this CPU or replace it - as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast