Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "I'm a Moron" Thread

Platinum Member

The "I'm a Moron" Thread

I like stories of people being idiots because they make me feel better when I do stupid things. So, I thought we needed a thread of "I'm a Moron" stories to share. I'll start:

This morning, I noticed one of my GPUs had gone idle. Didn't have time to deal with it right then, so I figured I'd Teamviewer into it when I got to work in 15 minutes and set it up with a new project. Only when I got to work, I remembered that I'd yet to put Teamviewer on that computer. Guess I have an idle GPU all day...

Gold Member

Re: The "I'm a Moron" Thread

lol did the same thing 2 days ago , had to make some changes to my bu config on my home pc but had to get to work so i was like ill connect from work , get to work fire up teamviewer and relize it wasnt running on the pc i needed it on.
    luckily the wife was home and i was able to get her to go start up tv for me lol

Diamond Member

and yes I am a

but I have been thinking and cant explain it
    Too difficult for a moron like me
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Past Administrator

Well, once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away, I accepted the position of admin on a forum.......

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Well, once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away, I accepted the position of admin on a forum.......
    And now you want to drink ALL the beers...

Platinum Member

Today's moron moment:

Installing BOINC on a laptop. Get a message that BOINC is not available for my type of process. Panic ensues.

Panic then subsides once I removed my head from my rectal region and realized I was installing the x64 version on a 32-bit machine. Oy.

Administrator

DUH Moment. (I'm officially a Moron!)

Tonight I built a homemade power cable to attach an r-box to my computer's power supply using a molex connector.
    I took great care in making the solder joints and insulating it. It looked very well built.
    I also used a volt ohm meter to check the continuity and correctness of the connections.

I had made this configuration 3 times before with great success and neatness.

I went to plug in the cable to the power supply and it wouldn't fit.

DOH!!! I had very carefully attached a male molex connector from the scrap drawer to the end of my r-box barrel connector.

The two male connectors (the cable and the computer power supply) would not mate.
    My computer is just not that inclined.

Back to the work bench to start all over with a female connector this time.

Administrator

My moment last week ... I was working on getting all the current PG badges up to the gold level. All my machines had HT turned off and I had 4 machines running one project and the last 2 machines each had 6 SOB WU going. So I get enough pending done on the 1st project and I change to the next. Then I went in one machine at a time and deleted the running WU because I didn't need any more. That was fine through the 1st 4 machines. Yep, you guessed it, I continued to the last 2 machines as well and deleted 12 SOB WU that had been running over 4 days and would have finished in about 12 more hours. DOH!!!

Platinum Member

"Here's yer sign!"

Administrator

Here is an "old" one. Years ago, when I worked for HP, I had a very very nice HP Workstation with a high speed, high capacity external HDD that I did all my work on. For a 3 week period I had been writing application notes that we published on how to use a PC to control test instrument over HPIB (HP Interface Bus). There were 4 versions that covered the different common HPIB/GPIB interace cards. So for 3 weeks all I had played with was a PC and DOS.

We had an engr. come down from HP Loveland that wanted to show us some software they were developing and he asked if he could borrow my Workstation and of course I said sure. So here we are in a room of probably 50 R&D engineers and he hands me a 3.5" floppy and asks me to move it to the hard drive. No problemo ... copy A:\ C:\ and hit Return. One slight problem did emerge ... the OS on the Workstation was NOT DOS. The command actually made the C: drive the exact image of the 3.5" floppy. So I now had a very expensive, high speed, high capabity 3.5" floppy. The second I hit return I realized what I had done and reached for the power cord but of course it was far too late to be saved. I stood up and walked out of the room without saying a single word ... hard to believe

Fortunately, there was a built in tape drive on that HDD. Unfortunately, someone had been too lazy to use it for over 6 months ... I lost a lot of work that afternoon. Have you ever seen a grown man cry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast