Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: upgrading my budget built amd machine

Gold Member

upgrading my budget built amd machine

so i just sold about 500$ worth of unused speed parts i had from my twin turbo camaro build , id like to get some more out of my amd machine but need help picking out some parts for it

basically as of now it sits like this

asrock 880gm-le
    fx 8320
    4 gb ddr 3 667mhz
    sata drives
    hd 4320 and nvidia gt430 gpus

i know off the bat the low end budget mobo has to go , got any recomendations ?
    im also thinking a nice water cooling system( having some issues keeping it cool enough for my taste with the air cooling) , dbl the ram and a nice gpu recommendations ?

need to budget in a decent psu as well as ive almost got the current one maxed

id prefer not to spend all the money so id rathe rupgrade the things that need it the most first for now

Past Administrator

Re: upgrading my budget built amd machine

Hi Dave, I'm shocked that thing hasn't burnt up yet powering that FX 8320. Don't ask how I know the lower end AMD chipsets can catch on fire with heavy crunching 24/7.

My first reply was way too rambling, so let me start over: what are your electric rates like?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Hi Dave, I'm shocked that thing hasn't burnt up yet powering that FX 8320. Don't ask how I know the lower end AMD chipsets can catch on fire with heavy crunching 24/7.

My first reply was way too rambling, so let me start over: what are your electric rates like?
    low/free

the heat this board puts off is unreal , ive installed extra fans blwoing ont he board to keep it cool , i also have the voltages turned down on the cpu and board. i think amd was way off on there voltage requirements for the cpu

i can run 4.0ghz reliably with only 1.250 cpu voltage instead of the stock 1.3250 or whatever it is

Gold Member

what do u guys think about this mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128514

Past Administrator

That is a better chipset, and much better build quality on that board. I think it comes down to whether or not you want to stay with powering an AMD and the heat that comes with it. You might consider simply saving for an i7 of your choice. I know that's not a sexy answer, but in the long run it's probably the best. If you really do want to keep powering a bulldozer 24/7 then yes, a motherboard with the 990FX chipset and GOOD heatsinks is a must for crunching!

Gold Member

That is a better chipset, and much better build quality on that board. I think it comes down to whether or not you want to stay with powering an AMD and the heat that comes with it. You might consider simply saving for an i7 of your choice. I know that's not a sexy answer, but in the long run it's probably the best. If you really do want to keep powering a bulldozer 24/7 then yes, a motherboard with the 990FX chipset and GOOD heatsinks is a must for crunching!
    i just bought this no way am i changing it lol , besdies not an intel fan , was even thinking about grabbing an fx9xxx down the road,

what would u recomend for a self contained cpu water cooler?, though im thinking a custom water cooling solution would be a much better choice

edit ive been quite happy with the 8320 so far minus the cooling and stability issues ive had/have

Past Administrator

That new Swiftech 220 will be the bomb when it comes out. If you need it really soon and have the room, the Nepton 280L can't be beat because the radiator is huge. In the slightly smaller 240mm radiator class, you've got lots of options, (I would say throw out a $ amount and we can talk specific models) and those options really come down to your favorite water block and/or how much fan noise you're willing to put up with.

Gold Member

That new Swiftech 220 will be the bomb when it comes out. If you need it really soon and have the room, the Nepton 280L can't be beat because the radiator is huge. In the slightly smaller 240mm radiator class, you've got lots of options, (I would say throw out a $ amount and we can talk specific models) and those options really come down to your favorite water block and/or how much fan noise you're willing to put up with.

500$ budget that i would spend , trying not to spend all of it if i dont have to , deefinat upgrades have to be psu , mobo , and cooler, my mian priority is getting it running good and stable , gpu's can wait

Gold Member

fan noise / and wate rbkock do not matter , i just need something that will work and keep this thing cool at a 24/7 100% load with clock speeds in the 4.6-4.8ghz range

i.e functionality over things like noise

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    fan noise / and wate rbkock do not matter , i just need something that will work and keep this thing cool at a 24/7 100% load with clock speeds in the 4.6-4.8ghz range

i.e functionality over things like noise
    The Noctua NH-d14 worked very well on my FX-8150 @ 4.5ghz. It's also very quiet. Anything over 4.5 and you should really go to water. Not sure how the 8350 ocs by comparison to the 8150, but I hit a stability hole at anything over 4.6ghz, which might have been heat or the limit of the cpu. Running that high an oc you'll need to watch other mb components as they'll run hot too. EmSti could speak more to that as I think he added some directional cooling fans to blow on the mosfet.
    Last edited by Al; 08-05-14 at 05:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast