Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OS X beta causing problems

Diamond Member

Re: OS X beta causing problems

Here is a post from Charlie Fenton (the mac developer) the BOINC alpha email list:

Mac testers, please download and test BOINC 7.4.19 from <http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_7.4.19_macOSX_i686.zip>. This is a fairly urgent fix for compatibility with the recently released CUDA version 6.5 drivers from NVIDIA. Earlier versions of BOINC won't recognize CUDA on the Mac with this driver.

This version also has compatibility fixes for the upcoming Mac OS 10.8.5 and OS 10.10 Yosemite.

Please test this version whether or not you have CUDA, and on any version of OS X.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    --Charlie
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

jgillett

Thanks VERY much for posting this info. Have updated to 7.4.19 and 6.5.14. It's running and requesting cuda apps (wasn't before), the error message in the log about no cuda hardware is now gone, but it appears the server cupboard is bare in that dept. Am running the setiathome_x41zc_x86_64-apple-darwin_cuda55 that I got from Crunchers. Any problem with that?

Thanks!

Diamond Member

Try running seti beta, with no app_info and see if that works. If so, then you will know the issue is with the opt app or not.

jgillett

With app_info removed the only thing it's running is v7 7.00. Previously it was running just v7 7.05. It's still requesting cuda stuff, but not getting any.

Since the start of Yosemite and the cuda loss my average has dropped from ~26,000 to less than 8,000 on the stats page. Disappointing.

Thanks.

Diamond Member

Are you sure you are on the beta project? The standard project doesn't have an OSX/cuda app.

jgillett

Used the link from a few messages back - http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_7...acOSX_i686.zip. Don't see anything that specifically says this is a beta, but it is 7.4.19.

It finally started pulling cuda WUs with the app_info removed, but apparently didn't know how to run them...

cuda.jpg

Put back the original app_info and restarted. Now it's running only v7 7.00 instead of the v7 7.05 it was previously, and is no longer pulling in cudas. Weird.

Thanks.

Diamond Member

Ah. Let me be more clear. I am talking about beta project, not beta application. There are two seti projects:

SETI@home: http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu
    SETI@home Beta: http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/beta/

Only the beta project has native applications for OSX/nVidia. Try running BOINC on the beta project, without installing any optimized apps.

jgillett

OK - that helped a lot (really).

Joined the beta group and added it to BOINC projects. It immediately pulled 4 AP v7 7.03 on to the GPU and - it's running (well - only one is running)!

Also noticed app_info had disappeared from the seti project so put that back and it's now back to running v7 7.05 units.

As usual no app_info was generated for the beta project. Any suggestions on what that should look like? Can the same one from the non-beta project be used (suspect not)? Would like to think there's more than just an AP unit out there.

Thank you!

Diamond Member

They do not want you using optimized apps on the beta project. The idea is to test out the stock apps. But if your GPU is not under full load, you can always use an app_config.xml to run more than one stock GPU task at a time.

jgillett

Got it to run 2 cuda WUs from the beta (fudged up an app_config.xml) and 2 non-cuda from the 'normal' SETI. No problems at all with the beta WUs, but the others still get upset...

error.jpg

Am sure my app_info for the regular stuff is messed up, but no idea where. In just a few days the beta stats have surpassed the regular stats - beta 10,000 and rising, regular less than 7,000 and falling (average there used to be ~26,000!).

Giving up...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast