Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard upgrade to my P3

Gold Member

Re: Motherboard upgrade to my P3

Ok, I have the board put together and running a rudimentary Gentoo install. Next to install Grub and Boinc. But, here are some pictures from the build.

Time to put the P3 out to pasture.

The ASUS P3 board uninstalled and ready to be recycled.

The Ram has arrived!

Case with P3 uninstalled and waiting for Mr. Gigabyte.
    As it turns out, the PSU I bought when putting this P3 together does have the 12V plug. Also, it's 300W, so, plenty of power until I upgrade the GPU.

The Gigabyte board installed and bolted down waiting to be connected. Do you think I have enough room for expansion?
    After this the battery on the camera was getting low, so only enough juice for one more picture and then the download.

And finally...
    Everything is connected and a few bundle ties to keep stuff organized.
    Despite my best efforts to break things by dropping my "T" screwdriver onto the motherboard, everything is running smoothly.

It's taking me some trial and error to get the BIOS right and getting the settings right for overclocking. I didn't realize after adjusting the CPU that I then had to adjust the Ram to keep from clocking it past usability. It's good Ram, but doesn't overclock much. I currently have the CPU clocked at 2.4Ghz with Ram at 890Ghz. I'll get the thing crunching stably before going higher.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Ahhh, pictures pictures pictures!!! Congrats on the new system.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Nice O/C! So what % increase did it turn into for you, running the CPU on the new board?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Nice O/C! So what % increase did it turn into for you, running the CPU on the new board?
    I went from 1.8 to 2.4Ghz. I believe that's 33%.

Running boinc it levels out at 85C. I probably need to get a better cooler.
    6r39 7r199

Shadow

This will cool down your CPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103055

The Cooler Master V8, it's huge but it definitely does the job if you have the room for it. My i7 950 is OC'd to 3.71 and idles at 38C, it rarely sees anything above 55C under a full load.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This will cool down your CPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103055

The Cooler Master V8, it's huge but it definitely does the job if you have the room for it. My i7 950 is OC'd to 3.71 and idles at 38C, it rarely sees anything above 55C under a full load.
    I won't be spending much more than $20 when I do buy one. I just need something better than the stock cooler that came with my E7600.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    I won't be spending much more than $20 when I do buy one. I just need something better than the stock cooler that came with my E7600.
    You should take a look at this one Thermaltake TR2-M13 775 Socket Cooler for $12.99 + $4.99 Shipping on eBay (New Stock). Did a great job on my P4 cruncher/server before the MB started going south (Bad PCIe slot).

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    You should take a look at this one Thermaltake TR2-M13 775 Socket Cooler for $12.99 + $4.99 Shipping on eBay (New Stock). Did a great job on my P4 cruncher/server before the MB started going south (Bad PCIe slot).

I've decided not to go with a cooler with the push pins. I suspect that's the problem with the cooler now. I clocked the processor back down to 1.8Mhz and it's still running too hot. I'm going to get a backplate and get one that screws down. I realized I have a $10 refund in my Paypal account, so I very well might get it all on Ebay.

Also, I'm going to do my best to get one with copper.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    I've decided not to go with a cooler with the push pins. I suspect that's the problem with the cooler now. I clocked the processor back down to 1.8Mhz and it's still running too hot. I'm going to get a backplate and get one that screws down. I realized I have a $10 refund in my Paypal account, so I very well might get it all on Ebay.

Also, I'm going to do my best to get one with copper.
    OK, I understand your concern over pushpins though my TR2 worked very well.

NewEgg has this ZALMAN 9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler for $39.99 before $10.00 MIR. It uses a retention clip rather than being bolted down. Highly rated unit.

The COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 for $29.99 uses a four bolt scissors type mounting bracket and comes with a backplate.
    BTW: NewEgg does accept PayPal.

Edit: If you have enough case width, Zalman make a 110mm version of the one I listed above, the CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler. NewEgg is selling it for $44.99 before $10.00 MIR. This unit uses a single boltdown clip. Check out Zalman's neat little installation animation here.

Also both Zalman units ship Free from NewEgg. The Cooler Master's shipping charge is $3.99.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 02-22-11 at 02:02 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    OK, I understand your concern over pushpins though my TR2 worked very well.

NewEgg has this ZALMAN 9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler for $39.99 before $10.00 MIR. It uses a retention clip rather than being bolted down. Highly rated unit.

The COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 for $29.99 uses a four bolt scissors type mounting bracket and comes with a backplate.
    BTW: NewEgg does accept PayPal.

Edit: If you have enough case width, Zalman make a 110mm version of the one I listed above, the CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler. NewEgg is selling it for $44.99 before $10.00 MIR. This unit uses a single boltdown clip. Check out Zalman's neat little installation animation here.

Also both Zalman units ship Free from NewEgg. The Cooler Master's shipping charge is $3.99.
    Once I get this thing cooled correctly, I'll be running it at 3Ghz. It was stable all the way up to 195F, which is where I stopped crunching so it could cool back down.

On a totally unrelated note, after looking at my before and after pics, it occured to me I can remove the hard drive slot and create even more room. The only thing there is a floppy drive that's not even connected.
    Last edited by trigggl; 02-22-11 at 06:20 PM.
    6r39 7r199

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast