Thread: Need HELP !!

Ricky Moore

Need HELP !!

I am helping a friend with her laptop. She seem to have fallen for one of those fake virus programs and her laptop is now infected with about 9 viruses.

She purchased Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 and I told her her I would try to fix her laptop and save her some money.

Her Laptop had Norton on it but after uninstalling it the new program would not install. It was reporting that Norton Security 2011 and a program called Norton PC Checkup was still on the laptop. However, it does NOT show up in the Add/Remove list.

BTW her laptop is running Windows 7 Home. The Restore system has been turned off for some reason and I don't see where to turn it back on. Looking on the laptop I don't see any recovery drive to restore the Laptop (unless it has been hidden).

Good news is I was able to install a copy of my virus program (SystemSuite11) and it was able to find and remove the Virus she had. I then updated her laptop from Windows Update and it downloaded the April's Malicious Tool remover and it scan and found the file that cause the fake virus alert.

I still need to know how to remove the Norton stuff so I can install the Virus program she purchased.

Any ideas????

Gold Member

Re: Need HELP !!

Open start, run and the type in regedit and enter. Go to edit, then find. In find type in Norton. After finding the first delete it and then go to edit and find next and delete. Continue until no more Norton is found in the registry. Go to the program files and delete the Norton folder and reboot. This should take care of it.

That is a nasty virus. I'm glad you got rid of it. I had to format 3 computers so far of friends of mine and reload windows. Not fun.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

You just got some great advice there. You may consider downloading CCleaner (free from Piriform) as well. It has uninstall help under tools, and is a pretty decent registry cleaner.
    Good deal with the Kaspersky; a big improvement over Morton!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    +++++1 Other then their Anti-Virus Norton products are total resource hogs and not worth the money.

For future reference:
    AVG Anti-Virus - One of the best FREE Anti-Virus utilities
    Malwarebytes - Much better then the Windows tool. Also Free.
    CCleaner - Great registry cleaner and orphan file remover. Free.
    Agnitum's Outpost Firewall - Great protection & awesome feature set. Not free but can purchase a lifetime license.
    Outpost Security Suite (Free Edition)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Definitely that. I had a heck of a time removing Norton the one time I had to do it, and that's what I had to use. Norton deliberately makes itself hard to remove to make it harder for viruses to target it. For better or for worse...

Ricky Moore

Thanks I do have a copy of CCleaner I will try that and work from there.