Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a CPU Cruncher

Platinum Member

Building a CPU Cruncher

Bad news: My AMD2+ Quad, the first computer I ever built myself, has officially died. There are enough problems with it that I no longer wish to deal with it. It is, quite literally, dead to me.

Good news: I get to replace it. [insert moderately evil grin here]

What I want is to build a CPU cruncher. As many threads as I can possibly get in there, and for as cheaply as I can do it. I've only worked with server hardware once, and that was 4.5 years ago, and I had a lot of help. So I'm asking for advice...

I want a dual-CPU Mobo, and processors to go with them. The rest of the hardware I can handle, but I'd like some advice on where to go from here. Below are my first thoughts:

Motherboard
    CPUx2

Thoughts?

Platinum Member

Re: Building a CPU Cruncher

What about this:

Motherboard
    CPUx2

Past Administrator

Hey Maxwell,

Before you blow up the dishwasher, you may wish to have a chat with Zombie. His Mac Mini (?) farm is doing very well.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    What about this:

Motherboard
    CPUx2

Note QUITE sure I can sneak that build by the wife...

Diamond Member

You can get a used mac-mini for ~$600, with an 8-thread mobile i7. Uses only about 75 watts. Includes Intel HD 4000, which you can run on collate. For the amount you will spend on a dual CPU set up, you could have at least 6 of these, or 48 threads. And still significantly less power. All about the size of a gallon of milk. The only down side is that you cannot add GPU cards. Not a big deal if you are really looking for just a CPU cruncher.

Regardless, you should think twice about this goal of a dual CPU machine. You will spend 2x the amount compared to TWO single chip machines. Unless space is at that much of a premium, don't do it. Intel will be shipping a 6 or 8 core desktop CPU soon. Go after that instead. IMO, of course.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Hrmm...

Y'all are bringing up good points. What about something like this? Refurbished, pretty cheap, and should get me 8 threads as well as the ability to shove a GPU in there, should I want to do that at some point.

Diamond Member

I can't speak to the very old xeons like that one. Someone else will have to jump in. I can say this: Newer intel chips are much more powerful, and use much less electricity.

If I could not wait for the new big-core intel desktop CPU, and I wanted a traditional tower, I would build a machine around this CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116939
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Just be careful. Most Business class workstations have limited PS's, and not always able to get upgraded. Looks like this is 475W, but folks are claiming no upgrade is available...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Worksta...1#.U8r7wv5x2PI

Past Administrator

Z, one question. Can those minis run Windows natively?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I'm pretty happy with my Dell T5500 with dual X5650 Xeons. I got into mine for about $620 and it can run 2 GPUs. http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...-Project/page3

I'd like to see a custom build with the newest gen E5 Xeon... With dual 10 or 12 cores, that would rack up some WUprop hours pretty quick!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast