Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: build me a bad a$$ cruncher 800-900 budget

Gold Member

build me a bad a$$ cruncher 800-900 budget

since ive hit bitcoin gold in the last few days ive set aside 2 btc to build me a new cruncher, that is roughly between 800-900$'s depending on current value of bitcoin so that is my budget
    newegg takes payments in btc

i have a case, 750w psu's 500 gig sata hd's
    basically i need mobo cpu ram gfx card(s)
    with that budget whats the best cruncher u could build

my 2 main crunchers are the amd a8 3800/ati 6550 and my fx 8320 gt430's both of wich have open pcie slots , would i be better off just buying some nice gfx cards for those

Platinum Member

Re: build me a bad a$$ cruncher 800-900 budget

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    would i be better off just buying some nice gfx cards for those
    Depends. For the credits, i'd spend the budget on GPUs, but if you feel you're a little too light in the CPU department, you should go that route.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Depends. For the credits, i'd spend the budget on GPUs, but if you feel you're a little too light in the CPU department, you should go that route.
    im not really sure the only intels i have to compare either amd against is some core duo's , and well lets just say the core duos are very slow
    i wouldnt mind another 8 core machine be it intel or amd but i guess ur right getting some decent gpus wouldnt be to bad of an idea
    i would though change the mobo on the fx machine to something with a handfull of pcie slots for future upgrading first , so that would take 150 bucks out of the budget + ram upgrade i dont think 6 gig would cut it anymore
    so call it it a 600$ budget for gpus , one for the amd a8 machine , and 1-2 or 3 for the fx machine what would be my best bang for the buck

Silver Member

I suggest if you are going to get the AMD chip realize you will have to provide cooling support if you intend to overclock it too much. The Intel chips seem to run a lot cooler but you pay a pretty penny for that.

It also depends on the projects you intend to be on I know Primegrid really loves Intel vice AMD.
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Gold Member

Gold Member

haha ifi keep making money like i am over the next few days i may have to up the budget considerably

1x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-294-_-Product

4x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-304-_-Product

2100$'s + ram and custom case i think that would make one powerfull cpu cruncher

Past Administrator

Well if you are really interested in that AMD rig, I'd say don't get the combo package from Newegg. Mainly because of the H100i. It has notorious leak issues new out of the box.

Here is my idea. The 9590 has a $50 premium attached compared to the 9370, which is only 0.3Ghz slower. So save the cash there and spend it on a better CPU cooler. Better cooler = better overclocking @lower noise levels. So....

SuperBiiz: AMD FX-9370 [Retail Packaging] - $209.99 + $5.00 S&H (Link)
    Newegg: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 - $179.99 w/Free S&H (Link)
    NCIX: Swiftech H220X All-in-One Cooler - $136.03 w/Free S&H (Link)

Linus TechTips Video Reviews
    Swiftech H220-X All-in-one Liquid Cooler
    Swiftech H220-X CPU Liquid Cooling Kit VS (Original) H220 Comparison

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Well if you are really interested in that AMD rig, I'd say don't get the combo package from Newegg. Mainly because of the H100i. It has notorious leak issues new out of the box.

Here is my idea. The 9590 has a $50 premium attached compared to the 9370, which is only 0.3Ghz slower. So save the cash there and spend it on a better CPU cooler. Better cooler = better overclocking @lower noise levels. So....

SuperBiiz: AMD FX-9370 [Retail Packaging] - $209.99 + $5.00 S&H (Link)
    Newegg: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 - $179.99 w/Free S&H (Link)
    NCIX: Swiftech H220X All-in-One Cooler - $136.03 w/Free S&H (Link)

Linus TechTips Video Reviews
    Swiftech H220-X All-in-one Liquid Cooler
    Swiftech H220-X CPU Liquid Cooling Kit VS (Original) H220 Comparison
    thanks have to see if those other stores accept bitcoin if not id have to sell my bitcoins for usd and do a bank transfer , the way things are going im taking a serious look at a dual or quad opteron rig
    after my rental fees from renting out mining hardware im making .75 btc profit per day half of wish is going to my medical bill fund and the other half is going towards building a new toy

the opteron rig i posted above would be a pretty serious cpu cruncher and it has 6 pcie slots for further additions of gpus

Platinum Member

Performance-PCs accepts Bitcoin too. Here's a link to the cooler: http://www.performance-pcs.com/swift...oling-kit.html

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Performance-PCs accepts Bitcoin too. Here's a link to the cooler: http://www.performance-pcs.com/swift...oling-kit.html

thank jpm my 8320 fx is deffinatly getting one of those , ive since baindaided it by putting it infront of the ac with the side cover off lol.

what are ur guys thoughts on an opteron based crunching machine , i dont think id go all out on that quad machine but maybe a nice lil dual machine if it would kill the fx9xxx or the i7 in cpu crunching power

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast