Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: build me a bad a$$ cruncher 800-900 budget

Gold Member

Re: build me a bad a$$ cruncher 800-900 budget

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Problem is, by the time you've got all those AntMiners and other hardware hooked up, you'll need to get the main power feed to the building upgraded to handle it all!
    haha probably luckily i have a 200amp service , just have to rember not to fire up the welder or plasma cutter with all the hardware running

ive had the luck to get involved with a startup crypto company and made huge returns and am still making around .75 btc per day with them without any mining.
    so the mining is just a hobby now. Ive found it to be very profitable if u can find the right alt coin to mine
    Me and a few friends are taking up this opportunity to launch a new cyrpto coin with the help of that company in the coming few weeks

Gold Member

well i absolutly love these s1's so much quieter and less heat then the bfls , i cant say much for the dell server psu's im using each one is as loud as a small vacum , luckily my breakout board have the ability to control the fan speed in the psu, ive goten them adjusted to the point were 4 running s1's and psus are quiter then a single bfl 60, but still lokking into quiter psu options for hooking up the other 16 s1's
    i might also have found a way to use the s1's on bu by unhooking the bitmain control board and controlling the blades with a simple 2$ usb to uart controller , so if it works all those s1 blades from ppl who bought the s1 to s3 upgrade kit that are on ebay for 10-20 bucks would be killer deals

cpu, ram, mobo, cooler should be here on saturday , need to get up off my butt and finally decide on a case and the other odds and ends i need for it , been thinking about doing one of the semi open lexan tech stations for it

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    This is the intel CPU to get: i7-4790K

So you are looking for a mobo with a LGA 1150 socket.
    I'm looking to rebuild my home cruncher in the next few months... need moar cores!! I've priced a 6-core Haswell setup, but DAYUM with all new DDR4 and an X99 mobo it's about a $1,000 outlay So LGA 1150 + i7-4790K might be a good 2nd option at about $480 for mobo + cpu.

I guess my concern is that the LGA 1150 Z97 chipset with 4790k has only 16 PCI-e lanes (same as my current FM1 chipset) which I have seen impact performance with dual GPUs on certain projects (Einstein, GPUGrid). I'm reluctant to stay with a platform with only 16 lanes and then load it up with two (or three) fast GPUs. I really don't know how much difference it will make, but I have two FM1 platforms and the single-gpu box always outperforms the dual-gpu even though it has slower CPU & RAM.

Might just have to wait for X99/DDR4 prices to settle in...

Platinum Member

You can get Z97 boards with more PCIe lanes, but they cost almost as much (or more) than the CPU itself. Then you're looking at spending close to the same money as you would for a Haswell-E board/CPU to get the same number of lanes. At least with Intel, you get PCIe 3.0. AMD still only supports 2.0 unless you throw in a 3rd party controller (for extra $$) on the motherboard. Quite sad. Of course they finally got 3.0 on the FM2+ chipsets, but wrong socket to be useful. lolAPU. They needed 3.0 on FM3+.

Anyway, just in case you start leaning toward Haswell-E again, the 5930K and 5960K both have 40 lanes, but the 5820K "only" has 28.

And don't forget to add in the extra lanes provided by the Z97 chipset itself (which is an additional 8). Same as X99.

Silver Member

what are ur guys thoughts on an opteron based crunching machine
    It's been a while since I've used an opteron (socket 939 was the latest), they're very robust processors. I originally had an opteron 140 i think (single core 1.8ghz) oc'd to 2.7ghz+ on air and very cool, (50% oc for nothing). But IMO their strengths don't shine until you have a multi socket board with at least 2 on them. That is where things get expensive though. I bet you could build a very efficient cruncher with them and something like r9 270s or gtx 750 ti. But if you want crunching points per dollar of your budget I would have to say you need to spend more on your GPU and less on cpu, i.e. multiple gpus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuGEJcoA3yc You could almost do this with your budget, this would be the best cruncher per dollar per watt IMO.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345