Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: build me a bad a$$ cruncher 800-900 budget

Platinum Member

Re: build me a bad a$$ cruncher 800-900 budget

The only thing from AMD that'll beat an i7 is a dual Opteron. Plus it would be great for wuprop hours

Gold Member

the dual opteron is apealing and not bad money wise , have to see how my luck plays out the next few days , i may just end up with that quad opteron

Diamond Member

Do you care about power consumption? Dual amd will consume way more power than an i7, 2x-3x. Long term, that will cost more than you save on hardware purchase.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Do you care about power consumption? Dual amd will consume way more power than an i7, 2x-3x. Long term, that will cost more than you save on hardware purchase.
    right no i dont power is free , but i may in the future , but the goal is buidl the most powerfull cruncher i can , i have so many ideas floating around in my head ( everythng form a rack full of xeons to the dual/quad opteron to maybe an fx packed with gpus ) i really need to price out all my options and figure out whats going to be the best bang for the buck

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    right no i dont power is free , but i may in the future , but the goal is buidl the most powerfull cruncher i can , i have so many ideas floating around in my head ( everythng form a rack full of xeons to the dual/quad opteron to maybe an fx packed with gpus ) i really need to price out all my options and figure out whats going to be the best bang for the buck
    Well, Zombie has a really good setup for CPU projects...

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Well, Zombie has a really good setup for CPU projects...
    build thread?

this is hard so many ways i could go with it , so far ive only managed to purchase water cooling for the current fx machine and a new mobo with multiple pcie 3.0 slots but no gpus yet, though i have been searching for a good deal on a dual or quad opteron , im going to take a look at some dual xeon options as well

Diamond Member

I use used mac minis with 8 thread i7s each. You can get them used for ~$600. They pull about 75w each. Each has a native BOINC client, as well as a windows and linux VM running BOINC as well. So they can crunch any CPU project. They also have either ATI or HD 4000 graphics chips that can also crunch.

"Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

^^^ That is the most compact farm I've ever laid eyes on ^^^ Just wish they weren't i-puters.... (yes, I'm a hater)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    ^^^ That is the most compact farm I've ever laid eyes on ^^^ Just wish they weren't i-puters.... (yes, I'm a hater)

ever since i got my ihone threw work ive been an apple hater as well , but it actually looks like a decent option

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    ever since i got my ihone threw work ive been an apple hater as well , but it actually looks like a decent option
    You can get similar sized computers that aren't Apple. And of course the non-Apple ones offer faster processors with faster on-die graphics. Some may even have GPUs built in. I recall seeing a Zotac Zbox with a GT 640 and a Gigabyte Brix with a GTX 760.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast