Thread: Best motherboard for Intel Core i7 3770k?

Silver Member

Best motherboard for Intel Core i7 3770k?

Hi all!
    Yeah, I rarely was on the forums the last months, job applications and interviews and such, well at least it now payed off and I have a full-time job starting October 1st.

To the subject: some time ago one box died on me after a hot restart, followed by a series of random restarts, and I thought kinda "great, that was it with that box".
    I started to dig through it and saw the CPU post LED lit, so of course I thought the CPU was toast. Nope, CPU was still working on another mainboard, so I ruled out RAM, GPU and PSU as well, leaving the mainboard, an ASUS Sabertooth Z77, as culprit.
    I RMAed it and just received word I will be fully reimbursed for it.

So which brand should I choose? Is AsRock any good, especially for overclocking; or MSI, or Gigabyte? Which brand and mainboard would you choose that isn't as expensive as an ASUS Maximus V Extreme is, at least over here?

Thx and take care!

Sent from my personal Android slave using Tapatalk Pro
    CH
    "Everything will be great at the end! And if it is not great, it is not yet the end!" "Do not ever strive for perfection! Strive for excellence instead!"
    "Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or even a single one!" "Infinite diversity in infinite combinations"

Administrator

Re: Best motherboard for Intel Core i7 3770k?

Sorry, not much brand experience here.
    My motherboards are something I haven't changed out or upgraded much.

I'm currently running my i7 3770K 3.5 GHz CPU in the ASUS P8Z77-V LK Z77 CROSSFIRE/SLI Motherboard I originally purchased with it.
    I've had it over two years now, and have had it overclocked to a stable 4.14 GHz from day one.

(Congrats on the full-time job!)

Administrator

Out of all the things I've haven't been able to kill, I've never killed a mb....good going! I've got gigabyte, asus (sabertooth,) msi and a couple of asrocks running without a problem. The Sabertooth seems to oc the best, but that's an amd variety. The MSI BigBang Marshall comes in second and the 2 asrocks pick of the rear at an easy 4.4ghz oc with no voltage increase.

Platinum Member

I've used Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and Foxconn. From my experience i have to say Gigabyte is the best with MSI 2nd. My MSI Big Bang Marshall really pisses me off sometimes, but i think it's an issue with the RAM and not the motherboard. I've lost 2 motherboards in my life. Both were Asus. And if i recall correctly, DrPop had an AsRock catch fire and try to burn his house down :/

Silver Member

Okay, thx a lot guys!

I will try to get one that fits my budget and expectations best; before the LGA 1155 mainboards are no longer available, that is, because it seems they are already disappearing from the market. :O
    Gigabyte I heard about, they are supposed to be really good...

@Sphynx: I am not entirely sure, if killing hardware is a personal achievement or a failure.
    Especially since that CPU always refused to run stable on any overclocking, so it was pure stock settings except for my attempts at the first starts...

CH
    "Everything will be great at the end! And if it is not great, it is not yet the end!" "Do not ever strive for perfection! Strive for excellence instead!"
    "Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or even a single one!" "Infinite diversity in infinite combinations"

Silver Member

Hey guys,

just wanted to tell you I found a relatively cheap, but completely overhauled ASUS Maximus V Extreme on Ebay. I like its overclocking features for CPU and RAM very much. So that's that.
    Colleagues at my new job are nice and easy so far and I first have to dig into the Java based framework called Hybris anyway, so I had a good start today.
    Last edited by Christopher Herr; 10-01-14 at 03:47 PM.
    CH

Administrator

Congrats on the new job CH!!! I'm glad things are looking up for you.

I've never used anything but ASUS and I've had absolutely no problem with any of them. They OC easily (on the fly) and have been rock solid for me. I can't compare them to the other MBs but the next one I buy will also be ASUS

Silver Member

Thx a lot, Bryan, it was about time!

CH

Gold Member

Congrats on the job. I also have Asus boards and have not had a problem with them. I have also passed 4 Asus boards on to my grandkids aftter I made good use of them in my boxes and they are still running well.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours