Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: and this is why I dont crunch 24/7...

Silver Member

Re: and this is why I dont crunch 24/7...

Quote Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
    I did the same thing all winter here in Louisiana! Keep my garage and back portion of my home warm and toasty with electrons flying through the air.
    Mine vents to behind my bed. Pillows are aways warm, yes the sound of loud fans is a little annoying but sometimes having free white noise is nice to block out other things.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Platinum Member

If I could have a large solar panel or windmill, it would be perfect. But the HOA's won't allow it.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    If I could have a large solar panel or windmill, it would be perfect. But the HOA's won't allow it.

Pretty sure it’s Illegal not to allow it these days. Cali even has a right to light law that your neighbor have to cut down there trees if it blocks your panels. Most have to go to court. Why people ever move to these places I’ll never know.

Not living in a HOA literally could save you tens of thousands of dollars. Me not to offend anyone ( prob will) HOA’s are just another union, something no one needs. Just about every city these days has more then enough laws to denture the guys with a yard full of cars. I personally have more cars then yard but nearly as many as some so we got to getter and now have garage/ workshop in an industrial area where that kind of activity is ok.

This is really just a plea to get people out of HOA’s before you forget how to stand up for yourself. You can’t forever have people telling you when to mow your lawn, what color to paint your house, or what to put on your roof. It’s against all that his American. Except the part where rich people found away to tax people for telling them what the outside of a house should look.

Which States are Protected from HOAs?

These laws, established in 2009 in Delaware, Maine, Vermont and Washington, and in 2008 in Maryland, North Carolina (SB 670 and HB 1387), and Virginia, followed in the footsteps of California’s Solar Right Act of 1978 (which was extended, as was Oregon’s 1979 law).

Solar Rights, or Solar Access, laws also prevail in Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. While in Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and Utah, state-mandated guidelines offer homeowners varied leeway in installing solar panels.

Last edited by Dandasarge; 02-15-11 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added States
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    I have an AMD x4 running on Solar... in the garage. Problem with solar is that you need large batteries to keep the computer running at night or on cloudy days. I can only handle 200 watts of power for about 24 hours right now. Anymore power draw and the batteries run out of juice. IMG_5566sm.jpg
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Platinum Member

I have an AMD x4 running on Solar... in the garage. Problem with solar is that you need large batteries to keep the computer running at night or on cloudy days. I can only handle 200 watts of power for about 24 hours right now. Anymore power draw and the batteries run out of juice. IMG_5566sm.jpg
    How much did the panel cost you and what do you do if there is a chance of hail?

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    How much did the panel cost you and what do you do if there is a chance of hail?
    You are looking at 460 watts of solar panels and they cost $1300+ with an additional $200 for shipping. They have thick glass plates which resisted a hail storm this winter already. The concrete slab and steel beams cost an additional $400 just for me to pour and install!

The solar array is my back up generator over here in hurricane country.

Here are photos of the construction. The solar array will become my new fence line to prevent damage during a hurricane.HNI_0024.JPGHNI_0037.jpg
    Last edited by rgathright; 02-15-11 at 03:44 PM.
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Silver Member

You are looking at 460 watts of solar panels and they cost $1300+ with an additional $200 for shipping. They have thick glass plates which resisted a hail storm this winter already. The concrete slab and steel beams cost an additional $400 just for me to pour and install!

The solar array is my back up generator over here in hurricane country.

Here are photos of the construction. The solar array will become my new fence line to prevent damage during a hurricane.HNI_0024.JPGHNI_0037.jpg
    Pretty neet, lot of dang money though

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123