Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New mac mini!

Diamond Member

Re: New mac mini!

Hmm. For the number of memory channels the Max Memory Bandwidth, they are 2 and 25.6 GB/s respectively. These numbers are identical to the desktop IB CPU i7-3770k. The only difference is 6mb of cache for the mobile chip, compared to 8mb for the desktop chip.

How are you measuring the usage of cache? If that last two mb of cache is really that critical for you, then it looks like only desktop i7 chips (or better) will do.

In that case, and you still want something similar in form-factor, I suggest one of the other solutions I listed above. They will be significantly more expensive though, and consume more power.

Edit: Just to be clear, they both use the "S" version of the desktop processor, which uses less power and runs at only 65w. So not quite as fast as the "K" versions. But they have 8gb cache. The Gigabyte brix I listed even uses the haswell i7, which has AVX2, if that is important.

Brix system cost with no OS:
    Brix: $590 (including $60 off)
    2x8gb: $165
    2.5" 750gb HD: $65 (including $25 off)

Total: $820 + Tax + S&H + OS (if Windows)

For comparison, I was spending $600 +/- ~$75 per mac mini when I bough mine.
    Last edited by zombie67; 10-18-14 at 09:02 PM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

What is happening, and you can check the mersenneforum.org, is that as you add more threads in Prime95/mprime/LLR, with low speed memory like 1600 MHz, the iteration time will increase exponential. Even with DDR3 memory at 2400 MHz there is a bottleneck. Also it happens with low Intel® Smart Cache memory, like 6 or 8 or 10 MB. Actually, I am using a 12 core server and if I am not mistaken it has 20 MB cache and when the 8th and upper threads are turned on, the iteration times just increase on the rest of the threads by 20-30 %.
    I was wondering if this happens with DDR4 and on i7-59xx series.

Do you think there will be heat issues on those Barebones ? I think so...
    Avx 2.0 is important for prime search but also increases temps on the CPU's so good coolers are necessary.

Anyway, the mac mini's are a good choice and solution for other projects.

Diamond Member

Ah. If that is true, then no desktop or mobile CPU solutions will work for you. Your only choice is server CPUs, or maybe the 6/8 core intel desktop chip. But even then, the memory speeds are still going to be a problem.

A thought occurs to me. Rather than spending so much on the top end parts like that (~$2-3k), you could buy two or more lesser machines and have better total production.

As for heat, I have not had problems with my mac minis. Not sure of the brix.

Gold Member

Well, I already asked for dual Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3a budged. By my calculations is it cheaper than having to buy 4-5 top desktop machines. The initial investment is almost the same but the dual will consume less energy although I am not sure of its production but they are AVX 2.0 friendly. Also it will be easier to babysit, less space on my home, etc.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    Well, I already asked for dual Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3a budged. By my calculations is it cheaper than having to buy 4-5 top desktop machines. The initial investment is almost the same but the dual will consume less energy although I am not sure of its production but they are AVX 2.0 friendly. Also it will be easier to babysit, less space on my home, etc.
    You would need 7 computers with quad core CPUs and hyperthreading to match your 1 computer with dual E5-2697 v3's. Without a doubt, having the one computer substantially reduces your power usage, the space used, generates alot less heat, and is just easier to manage...not to mention the badass factor

@Zombie: Perhaps a little unfair that the Brix system you linked above is the top end system with HD 5200 Iris Pro graphics? Though maybe that's what Carlos could really use to solve his cache problems, since that CPU comes with 128MB of L4 cache.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    You would need 7 computers with quad core CPUs and hyperthreading to match your 1 computer with dual E5-2697 v3's. Without a doubt, having the one computer substantially reduces your power usage, the space used, generates alot less heat, and is just easier to manage...not to mention the badass factor
    Truly bad-ass! I'm jealous!

Dual E5-2697 v3 draw 290w at full load (or ~$450w for a complete system with a modest GPU), and cost $5600 (or ~$6500-7500 for a complete system (depending on how much RAM)). That works out to ~7 mac minis based on power consumption, or ~11+ mac minis based on cost.

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    @Zombie: Perhaps a little unfair that the Brix system you linked above is the top end system with HD 5200 Iris Pro graphics? Though maybe that's what Carlos could really use to solve his cache problems, since that CPU comes with 128MB of L4 cache.
    I picked that one, because it was the only one I could find with a quad core i7. Do you see a cheaper one with that?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I picked that one, because it was the only one I could find with a quad core i7. Do you see a cheaper one with that?
    Hmmm yeah that might be tricky. Well so far i've found an i5 quad core, also with HD 5200 Iris Pro graphics for only $440 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-011-_-Product Still looking for an i7

Edit: Hmm i guess they discontinued the other quad i7's when the 4770R came out. Can't find anything, at least anything that's not used.

Edit2: Aha! Found a Zotac Zbox with a quad core i7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-066-_-Product $595 and comes with a 500GB hard drive and 4GB RAM, but it uses Ivy Bridge instead of Haswell.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 10-19-14 at 06:09 PM.

Platinum Member

And as for the lolmac mini, here's some imoprtant info you'll need to know: http://betanews.com/2014/10/19/apple...-ram-upgrades/

mactweet.JPG

Diamond Member

Yep. The new mini is a real let down.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123