Thread: BOINC on windows server 2003

BOINC on windows server 2003

Hey guys,
    I recently got appointed the "tech guy" at my fiance's small office. They have a few computers I've replaced with new PC's, fixed a few server issues (all user access issues), and set up a wireless printer and network for them. All fun stuff nothing tricky, and yes I installed BOINC on the new PC's, the owner was delighted when I asked and explained BOINC to her.

So, about this server, all they use it for is data storage, a rarely used industry specific program, and to run the office calendar. It runs 24/7 and has Windows server 2003. I don't know what's inside right now, will check later, but it is a massive Dell computer about 5 years old according to owner. I would like to install BOINC on it but for some reason am nervous about this. I just want to make sure there won't be any conflicts, or any unforeseen circumstances I am not considering.

Cheers! and nice to be back!

Platinum Member

Re: BOINC on windows server 2003

There *shouldn't* be a problem, but then again, I've said that for some things I've done, and been (metaphorically) punched in the face.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and install it. You can set some settings in there to suspend crunching if the CPU utilization gets above XX% (in case you see performance issues under a heavier load). You can also set up "exclusive applications" to suspend crunching if a given application is running (e.g., that industry specific program you mentioned).

Those are my thoughts. Welcome back!

Administrator

I've seen bunches of machines running Windows Server so the Opsys certainly won't be a problem As Maxwell said, if there are very important applications then you can set those up to take priority over BOINC. A 2nd alternative would be to limit the number of cores that BOINC can use. For example use 5 and leave 3 totally alone.

Platinum Member

Also if bandwidth might be an issue, you can limit how much data BOINC uploads/downloads per day, or set it to where BOINC only uploads/downloads at certain times of the day, say when the business is closed. All of the things mentioned in this thread so far can be done with the BOINC Manager and don't require any .xml or .cfg files.

And welcome back!
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 11-13-14 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks for the info guys! I am heading over to install it now! INow I need to catch up on the team goals to see what to set it for