Thread: No GPU and CPU limited to 755mhz.

No GPU and CPU limited to 755mhz.

hello all, I need some help.

I am unable to get BOINC to recognize my intel 4600 I have updated drivers.

While I run BOINC my processor speed goes from 3.6GHz all the way down to 755Mhz by way of the multiplier on CPU. When I start BOINC multiplier is at or around x25. Then drops to x8.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Member

Re: No GPU and CPU limited to 755mhz.

Could this be some kind of thermal throttling? What is your CPU temp? Are you using a program to throttle the CPU based on temperature?

Platinum Member

Also, remember that BOINC normally runs at "Idle" Priority, so if you have Power Saving enabled, your computer will dial back the CPU because it figures nothing important is running. Look under "Power Options" in the Control panel and choose "High Performance" and/or making sure the "Advanced Settings/Processor Power Management" states are set to not allow the CPU to get throttled back when "Idle."

I have checked all setting and I do not have any throttling other then what BOINC is doing.

Administrator

+1 what Mumps said.

That processor is rated for 3.4G turbo but it is a function of the number of cores:

Each core offers a base speed of 2.4 GHz but can dynamically increase clock rates with Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz (for 4 active cores), 3.3 GHz (for 2 active cores) and 3.4 GHz (for 1 active core).
    755 MHz sounds like the machine has gone into an "idle" state -or- it is thermally limiting. Get a temperature monitor program like "Real Temp" and see what each core is doing temperature wise. It will also show the overall processor speed in the upper right corner. I'm betting it is the Power Control setting because even with thermal limiting it should be much higher unless your fan is totally dead.

I'm running the same processor in this laptop. I can't help with the GPU ... never use it for crucnhing - just added heat.

It all just seems crazy because when I started I was crunching at 3.5Ghz now Im down to 2.3 at best.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spader View Post
    It all just seems crazy because when I started I was crunching at 3.5Ghz now Im down to 2.3 at best.
    That's actually right where I'd expect it to be. I have nearly an identical processor in one laptop I'm running (i7-4792MQ), and it's crunching at 2.2GHz when going full out.

On a side note, I just realized that your avatar is Avatar, and that made me giggle.

Gold Member

My i7-3820QM has a base clock of 2.7GHz but crunches at between 3.0 and 3.1GHz. But, I have a workstation laptop with good (and loud) cooling and an oversized power supply. Check settings as Mumps suggested and make sure you have good airflow under your laptop. In the end, your cooling may only be able to keep up with 2.3Ghz.

What project is running on your CPU? If you go to Windows Task Manager / Performance, are you using close to 100% of each processing thread?

I couldn't figure it out so I wiped hdd, and reinstalled os. Now working fine. Go figure.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spader View Post
    I couldn't figure it out so I wiped hdd, and reinstalled os. Now working fine. Go figure.
    When in doubt, start over. Well done - I've had to do that myself on occasion...