Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows 10 Free upgrade for one year

Silver Member

Re: Windows 10 Free upgrade for one year

Yep, me too.

Diamond Member

Folks, win10 is not even released yet. What's out there are just pre-releases. If you like playing with those, go for it. Otherwise, there is no reason to upgrade for now. Most rumors have it that the release will be sometime in mid-summer. We're sill in spring.

Once win10 is released, you will have a whole YEAR to upgrade for free. There is no rush.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

July 29th

Gold Member

I like playing with the Beta stuff and have been running 3 boxes with it. 2 have nothing but Boinc and Windows and the 3rd is my main box. The main one and one of the others have taken all the updates and are working fine. The 3rd one will not take the last update and goes into the boot cycle. I would definetly wait on doing any upgrading until the final version is out and a lot of people have tried it. I will say that I do like it but n order to use some of tthe features you have to turn things on such as your location. So beware.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

Hey folks, just keep in mind that Redmond (Corp. home of M$) will at some point in the future change all their software licensing to a subscription based model. That will include Windows. At that point all their crappy code will get even crappier. Sometime after all this, M$ will fail as a company.

So, now is a good time to learn Linux....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forbes
    Windows 10 introduces something new and highly unpleasant for its millions of consumers: the complete loss of control.

This revelation comes as Microsoft drip feeds nuggets of information ahead of Windows 10’s July 29th release and it is sure to spark anger and frustration as awareness grows. In a nutshell all upgraders to Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro (whether free or paid) will be forced to install every feature, patch and fix Microsoft throws at them or have their security updates cut off.
    I'm so excited...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Forbes
    Windows 10 introduces something new and highly unpleasant for its millions of consumers: the complete loss of control.

This revelation comes as Microsoft drip feeds nuggets of information ahead of Windows 10’s July 29th release and it is sure to spark anger and frustration as awareness grows. In a nutshell all upgraders to Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro (whether free or paid) will be forced to install every feature, patch and fix Microsoft throws at them or have their security updates cut off.
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    I'm so excited...
    And now we find out just how deep this rabbit hole goes......

Quote Originally Posted by TorrentFreak (August 22, 2015)
    Excerpt:

"The staffers at iTS explain that Windows 10 is off-limits now because of the extensive amount of data it shares. This includes connections to MarkMonitor, the brand protection company which is also involved in the U.S. Copyright Alert System.
    “Unfortunately Microsoft decided to revoke any kind of data protection and submit whatever they can gather to not only themselves but also others. One of those is one of the largest anti-piracy company called MarkMonitor,” iTS staff note.
    “Amongst other things Windows 10 sends the contents of your local disks directly to one of their servers. Obviously this goes way too far and is a serious threat to sites like ours which is why we had to take measures,” they add....
    Luckily, the most invasive privacy concerns can be dealt with by configuring Windows properly. Or any other operating system, application or social network for that matter.
    Instead of banning something outright, it may be a good idea to inform the public on specific dangers and educate them how they can be alleviated.

F$ Edit: Yeah, right! We know how astute the general public is when it comes to computers and the internet.....
    Original TorrentFreak Article

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123