Thread: GPUGrid: New Beta app for AMD GPUs

Diamond Member

GPUGrid: New Beta app for AMD GPUs

No idea why the scheduler's not playing ball. Will look tomorrow.

More...

Gold Member

Re: GPUGrid: New Beta app for AMD GPUs

AMD GPU app from GPUGrid... Interesting! Who will be the guinea pig when they start issuing work?

Silver Member

1108 GPUGRID 1/27/2015 6:17:32 PM Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
    1109 GPUGRID 1/27/2015 6:17:32 PM No tasks sent
    1110 GPUGRID 1/27/2015 6:17:32 PM No tasks are available for OpenCL for AMD GPUs

Can't get any.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Gold Member

I got some work this morning but all AMD units error out. Sounds like others are having the same problem; I'll try again when they get the kinks worked out.

Silver Member

i've gotten two new open cl apps since this new amd release, i couldn't get one of either initially so i turned on everything including CPU. Here's what i got:

OpenCL for AMD GPUs v9.05 (ati)

OpenCL for AMD GPUs v9.17 (mt)

I completed a few of the multithreaded tasks but none of the ati tasks. The MT tasks took about 1700 sec runtime but about 4700 sec cpu time which makes sense.

Anyone figure out how to get worthwhile amd gpu credit on gpugrid yet?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    i've gotten two new open cl apps since this new amd release, i couldn't get one of either initially so i turned on everything including CPU. Here's what i got:

OpenCL for AMD GPUs v9.05 (ati)

OpenCL for AMD GPUs v9.17 (mt)

I completed a few of the multithreaded tasks but none of the ati tasks. The MT tasks took about 1700 sec runtime but about 4700 sec cpu time which makes sense.

Anyone figure out how to get worthwhile amd gpu credit on gpugrid yet?
    Probably not going to happen any time soon. From the GPUGrid forum.

Our BOINC scheduler is too old to understand the OpenCL plan class, and if we use the "ati" plan class the BOINC client rejects the application if the CAL runtime isn't available (which is the case with any new AMD driver set).

Eventually we'll upgrade the server, but that's not happening any time soon.

Matt
    I take that to mean if you want any reasonable ATI performance ( it's currently horrible IMHO) you'll have downgrade to an older driver that includes the CAL runtime. I haven't tried this so I have no idea if or how much down grading the driver will help. Too much trouble for me.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.