Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What did *you* upgrade today?

Silver Member

Re: What did *you* upgrade today?

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    I tried to do it right from the install manager with the Nvidia driver but got a message saying it couldn't open so I too the recommended one.
    There's your problem. Did you kill the x session and run it from the root terminal? The installer won't work if you don't do that. In some cases you may have to change the permissions to make it executable as well using the chmod command.
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aux10 View Post
    There's your problem. Did you kill the x session and run it from the root terminal? The installer won't work if you don't do that. In some cases you may have to change the permissions to make it executable as well using the chmod command.
    HUH??? You have to realize that you are working with someone who is computer illerterate when it comes to Linux. I found the terminal but I can't get further. What command do I use to kill the session? I have the Nvidia driver on the desktop.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    HUH??? You have to realize that you are working with someone who is computer illerterate when it comes to Linux. I found the terminal but I can't get further. What command do I use to kill the session? I have the Nvidia driver on the desktop.
    Here's some step by step instructions on what to do: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...itory-install/

Try the instructions in the first post first. If that doesn't work try the ones in the second post. In my case I had to do the ones in the second post. Just remember, linux is case sensitive so if a file or folder has a capital letter in it, that letter must also be capitalized in the command.
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Gold Member

I will go through the instructions tomorrow and see if I can break something. Thanks. Will let you know if it went through this old head.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by dave c View Post
    ill have to have u guys help me pick out what to use on my setup once i find a pair of waterblocks to fit my powercolor r9 280x's
    right now its got a basic magicool 360 kit on just the cpu witht he tubing and compression fittings that came with the kit , the tubing was way to stiff to make nice so i decided im going to get acrylic tubing and make it all nice .

i just have no idea on what brands of fittings and tubing i should be buying
    currently im also using primochill uv blue cooling fluid
    this is before i installed the dual 280x's and the rm1000 psu

i do regret not buying the kit with the 460 rad , cause at the time i thought i was going to buy an r9 295x which came with its own radiator so by getting the 360 it would have let e fit it

and huge difference over my evo 212 , with the evo i was able to get 4.7ghz stable now im up a touch over 5ghz
    If you are still looking ( http://www.performance-pcs.com/ ) they will help you pick the right parts

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave gpu View Post
    If you are still looking ( http://www.performance-pcs.com/ ) they will help you pick the right parts

thanks they have a ton of 280x water blocks , looks like i need to pop the cooler off one of my cards to figure out exactly which one i need to buy , the plexi/acrylic tubing on there site is hard to pick form some say compression fittings other say it takes special fittings but meanwhile it looks liek the same stuff

Silver Member

thanks they have a ton of 280x water blocks , looks like i need to pop the cooler off one of my cards to figure out exactly which one i need to buy , the plexi/acrylic tubing on there site is hard to pick form some say compression fittings other say it takes special fittings but meanwhile it looks liek the same stuff
    On web site you can use live support or phone will let you know the best parts to use .

Gold Member

i dont think i had crossfire setup right , went to play bf4 for the first time since i installed the second card and was only getting 12-13fps on high @ 1600x900, i just pulled one of the cards and will see how it does now

Gold Member

yup deff had something setup wrong , back to a single 280x on stock clocks and im getting an avg of 30fps with the single card on ultra , anyone know what i may have messed up?

Gold Member

yup deff had something setup wrong , back to a single 280x on stock clocks and im getting an avg of 30fps with the single card on ultra , anyone know what i may have messed up?
    What motherboard is this? Are your cards in the correct slots? If you have one in the wrong slot (wired for x4 versus x16), it expect it could cause this problem. Otherwise I'd be looking at the graphics drivers or PSU.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast