Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What did *you* upgrade today?

Re: What did *you* upgrade today?

I upgraded ram to 8Gb and HDD to SSD on my laptop I'm currently using for crunching. Not much more I can really upgrade unfortunately. I tried to upgrade the CPU (T4500) to another socket p CPU I think T99/9800 (can't remember), but I couldn't get the system to post so I had to swap back. That was beginning of the week.

Yesterday I bought a wireless nic and a Xeon x5470 (which I plan to OC) to swap with a Core 2 E6700 on an old Alienware R4 7500 a buddy sold me for $50. Apparently you can convert the Xeon LGA771 to fit a LGA 775 socket with a pin mod. I think it refreshes LGA775 boards.
    http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

Today I just ordered a bigger EVGA 650w PSU, heat sink (hyper 212 evo) and 256Gb Samsung SSD for another rig so I can OC my FX-6300 and 270 when I get back home. Looking at maybe getting another used 270 to crossfire in another 6 months or so. Planning to build an Intel rig off 5820K in the next couple months. Waiting for Black Friday and Electronics Monday

All I got for now! More upgrades to come later.

Silver Member

Today my oldest rig went belly up, 9 years 24/7/365 AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor, my first Quad-Core.
    Will cost more to fix then what it's worth.
    will let it rust in peace.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave gpu View Post
    Today my oldest rig went belly up, 9 years 24/7/365 AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor, my first Quad-Core.
    Will cost more to fix then what it's worth.
    will let it rust in peace.
    Isn't it amazing how much some are selling old parts for? They are all on drugs! I can't even find matching ram for Bipolar or find a good replacement board for my c2d that isn't as much as a mobo for my newest rig......which I still need.

Gold Member

I can't even find matching ram for Bipolar or find a good replacement board for my c2d

Did you ask in the forum? A lot of us have extra parts that we will donate or sell for low $. Try it you may like it.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Steve gpu, you had that rig before I even knew how to build a pc! I didn't realize computers lasted so long. I am hoping mine will last at least that long. I would hate to get a new machine every five years. Out of curiosity, was it something you regularly cleaned and maintained or one you mostly left alone? I ask so I can gauge how long I can expect my systems to last with or without much care.

Shandia, I know what you mean. I search clear and far on eBay, Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect, and a lot of various other websites for used parts and sometimes they cost almost as much as buying brand new!

c303a, great suggestion. I will be asking the forum soon about any spare parts laying around.

Gold Member

A lot of the people on the forum are usually willing to "share" used parts providing they are used to crunch and not be sold on e-Bay or some other site. I believe that this group does all it can to help others increase the crunching capacity of the team. It is a very good group of people.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

I went from 4 old seagate drives, to 4 ssd drives....

such is a rainy or two days project

damn, alot faster on my old computers now... bit difference between microseconds (ms)and nanoseconds (ns) on a computer!

Silver Member

Finally got around to replacing the passive CPU cooler on the primary in the t5500. Spent 11 bucks for the used stock part. Other 1366 coolers won't work without heavy modifactions. It doesn't seem to be designed to use a fan directly on it just the big case fan in front of it. (Edit: I think there's suppose to be a black plastic shroud that a fan can mount to, I think i ditched a lot of the plastic that came with it) This wasn't good enough. I jerry-rigged a 92mm fan to it and these temps amazing. Would you believe I used silicon rubber fish tank air tubing? Makes for a great gasket/anti vibration.

The top temps are the ones that got the new cooler. At those loads they used to bang off the temp limits and throttle down. Which is around 80c. Down nearly 25c.
    I can actually use some hyperthreading. Should have done this sooner.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MindCrime; 11-09-15 at 02:20 PM.

Platinum Member

Looks like it might be time to blow/brush out a bit of that dust too MindCrime.

Good job on the fan mount!

Silver Member

Oh I did. It was horrible. You'd think I was breeding rabbits. Lil bunnies all over. That's about 11 months of 24/7 crunch dust. Definitely need to do that more often.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast