Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What did *you* upgrade today?

Gold Member

Re: What did *you* upgrade today?

New 4790K up and running. Replaced a 2600k with it with a new Asus Z97A USB 3.1 motherboard and 16 gbs 2133 memory. Running a EVGA GTX 960 and a Evga GTX 750ti.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Administrator

Nothing...but I'm getting ready. I have 3 upgraded HSF for my 3-t5500's, but I'm waiting for the fans to arrive. Suppose to be here Monday. Now how to cool the other cpu.....

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    New 4790K up and running. Replaced a 2600k with it with a new Asus Z97A USB 3.1 motherboard and 16 gbs 2133 memory. Running a EVGA GTX 960 and a Evga GTX 750ti.
    Sweet! Let's see some comparison numbers. Upgrades are good, even if you have to fry something to validated the upgrade.

Gold Member

My EVGA GTX 460 gave up the ghost today after running almost 24/7 for the last 4 1/2 years so I had to find a replacement for it. Picked up another EVGA SSC GTX 960 which I should have by Monday so I will have 2 of them running in 1 of my boxes.

Silver Member

Very sad that an old and faithful friend has passed away. It seems that your new upgrade will be very lovingly used.....just don't choke it to death the first time out. Then again, warranties are a wonderful thing. So knock yourself out.

I know this is slightly off topic. But I've always had issues posting pics to the forum and this feed. Anytime I manage to get a pic to actually upload without the usual dribble of an error which makes no sense, it's so small, it's hard to tell what the pic is. I've looked through the Q&A and in other parts of the forum without luck. I did come across the album section which it gives me the same error. Is there anything special one has to do to get full size pics posted? Could it be the overall dimension since I'm primarily using an hd cam for pics? This is an answer I'd love to know......and in a way, it would be an 'upgrade'. Also, maybe a section on this subject under uploading photos would help others. I actually have quite a few I'd love to add to my album....all the modding, new stuff, fried, burnt, washed, and other various ways we tend to kill parts.

Administrator

Like MindCrime, I installed 2 of 3 upgraded HSF on my T5500s. Temps with the new HSF on the primary cpu are great! The secondary cpu is no where's near MindCrimes, but at least they are no longer in the yellow. Possibly the fact that I'm pushing air through the HSF, whereas MindCrimes appears to be push from the front case fans and pull with the fan attached to the heatsink. I might try that on the last one, but with the fans I have, they do not lend themselves to that configuration because the fan either binds on the fins or the spacer. Anyway, Before and After screenshots are below are 100% load with HT on.
    before and after.jpg

Edit: Last one done and the temps are about the same. I didn't change the configuration. I did run out of 80mm fans and did discover that one 92mm fan will fit and only effects the temps about 2 degrees +. So, if you don't have a couple of 80mm fans at your disposal 1 - 92mm will work in a pinch. I do have 80mm fans on order.
    Last edited by Al; 11-20-15 at 02:29 PM.

Gold Member

Finally got my Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 back from Asus today They got it on the 23 of Nov. for repair. It would only pick up 1 GPU. It worked fine no matter what slot it went into as long as it was just 1 GPU. Hope it lasts longer than the last one did. It was only about 2 months old on an exchange from Asus. The original went down after 4 months. I now havew 2 GTX 960's, 2 GTX 570's, 1 GTX 750 and 1 GTX 750ti up and running. 2 Intel 4970K's and 1 3770K.

Past Administrator

Well........

I finally purchased my first TV in almost 20 years! Yes, as in two decades since I've owned a TV. But that was by choice, as I do not watch much in the way of shows. In fact I can count all the shows I like on my fingers and still have some free to eat popcorn with....

Anyhoot on Black Friday I pulled the trigger on a Vizio M-Series.

The Vizio M60-C3

Also I had to upgrade my other i7-920 box (not pictured) with an EVGA GTX-960 which gives me HDMI 2.0 support. Yeah, it's not an R9 series but apparently none of the AMD's offer HDMI 2.0 support.

Eventually I'll get around to setting up Kodi [f.k.a. XBMC] on the rig for my vid collection.

Oh and the lumber on milk crates is temporary. I'll be building an AV stand over the winter for the Vizio & audio stuff. Can't find one that I really like that costs less then the Vizio......

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Oh and the lumber on milk crates is temporary. I'll be building an AV stand over the winter for the Vizio & audio stuff. Can't find one that I really like that costs less then the Vizio......
    Sounds like it's time for a trip to IKEA! IDK why but I really like that place for some reason.
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Administrator

I'm parting out my i7 and amd systems and I started losing a WDHDD on one I'm getting ready to sell. Slapped in a Samsung SSD I had sitting on my bar (beer and rebuilds can go well together sometimes.) Should have swapped that in long ago. New Win 7 install and drivers installed in less than 30 minutes. Too bad I'm selling it off.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast